Water from a vent pipe

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
If the gatevalve in the drawing is shut D-I-A is right .........if it`s open Soft. is right ;) :LOL: Now then , back to the jet plane and the conveyor :LOL: :LOL:

The dam gate valve has nothing to do with the problem, the backflow at the higher mains pressure will go up the vent.

The only way it can travel throught he cylinder and up the cold feed is if the vent is blocked.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Because this is lower than the vent pipe, if you think of the water trying to get out of the cylinder and back to the cistern, it will have to rise less high one way than the other.

As you say, it will take the line of least resistance, and will rise up the pipe that goes less high.

Otherwise the water level in the vent pipe would be higher than the water level in the cistern... which doesn't make sense :cry:

The water in the vent pipe will be higher than the tank, because the head of the mains pressure will be far greater then the tank supply, several bars higher in fact, a point softus seems to be missing.

At the risk of incurring somebodys wrath, Is it not possible for the mains water to exit via the vent and into the cylinder and back up the feed pipe into the cwsc?.

It does seem feasible that the path of least resistance for the water would be to go straight up the vent instead of turning at a right angle into the cylinder.

Go easy on me Softus please :LOL:

Think ChrisR or ChrisHutt should give their opinions. :D

Prestex not Dam :LOL: :LOL: Basic hydraulics and I`m the non corgi one :rolleyes: :LOL: I bet you run a company ....most of the bosses I`ve worked for needed a helping hand sometimes. Bahco is getting the idea. we are talking about a small leakage of water by volume ..........a large volume/ pressure released suddenly could go up the vent .........keep your blood pressure low ;)

Nige F said:
Prestex not Dam :LOL: :LOL: Basic hydraulics and I`m the non corgi one :rolleyes: :LOL: I bet you run a company ....most of the bosses I`ve worked for needed a helping hand sometimes. Bahco is getting the idea. we are talking about a small leakage of water by volume ..........a large volume/ pressure released suddenly could go up the vent .........keep your blood pressure low ;)

As I have just explained to softus. one misconception is the relation to the head of water in the storage tank.

The water that is flooding out the open vent is addition water, and is not from or part of the low pressure gravity hot water system.

It is Mains water, that is is letting by a faulty fitting at a much higher pressure that is flooding the storage tank via the least line of resistence, e.g. the open vent, which then runs to atmosphere via the overflow pipe.

See my drawing; the red pipe is say 0.3bar whereas the blue pipe could be say 3bar, the valve lets by, where is the water going, not through the cylinder that for sure, unless the vent is blocked.

Bahco said:
At the risk of incurring somebodys wrath, Is it not possible for the mains water to exit via the vent and into the cylinder and back up the feed pipe into the cwsc?.
Er said:
...the head of water in the vent is the same as that of in the cistern, so the water level will rise in both. It won't come out of the vent simply because it overflows from the cistern first.

Go easy on me Softus please :LOL:
Why would I be anything other than straightforward and civil to you? Have you insulted me, or my intelligence, or claimed that what I've suggested is impossible?

Will there ever be a day when Softus will stop dissecting other peoples postings and abusing them.

Visitors to the site want to read constructive advice given to the original questions.

MOD 2
behave tony ;)

MOD 2
behave tony ;)[/quote]

Come on KEV..errr..MOD 2 he wasn`t being abusive ;)

Agile said:
a thing that he doesn't want quoted here
I don't dissect every post Agile - it might seem to you like it's all of them, but you don't read all of my posts.

Regarding whether or not I'm being constructive, can you claim to have written anything on this topic that is constructive? Or that I've written nothing that is?

Do you have a view on the cause of the symptoms originally described?

Do you believe that mains pressure that's leaching through a faulty valve will (a) gush up the vent, or (b) backflow into the CSC, or (c) do something entirely unmentioned thus far?

Clue: the answer on this one has nothing whatsoever to do with gas or boilers.

Agile said:
Will there ever be a day when Softus will stop dissecting other peoples postings and abusing them.

Visitors to the site want to read constructive advice given to the original questions.

MOD 2
behave tony ;)

In actual fact Tony it is easier to follow the replies when you dissect the post, sometimes. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back