Water hammer (?) clipping pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When we had our bathroom fitted the taps went at the other end of the bath from where they used to be. This has resulted in a fair distance of unsupported pipes.

I've notied when the washing machine shuts off, or the toilet finishes filling there is a short vibrating noise. I think this is the sudden change of pressure in the water causing the pipe to bang against the underside of the bath or something.

I took some pictures a while back when the side panel was off, and you can see what I mean.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

I'm going to take the panel off at the weekend when I get time, and holding the pipes still when flushing the chain to see if this solves the problem.

If so, I guess the solution is to fix the pipes to something, so here is my question - am I best fixing some battons of the exact height to the floor and then cliping the pipes to them, or can you get some kind of super long clips that will mean I don't have to fix battons?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
monkey_photo.gif

thats appauling
you can get some blocks of wood and secure to floor and screw some pipe clips on the blocks.

and don't let the pipe hang on the iso valve.

Sponsored Links
and don't let the pipe hang on the iso valve.

How do you mean?

I'll pick some wood and clips up tomorrow. I take it you can get clips from a shed?

I agree it doesn't look good, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it in terms of it not working, is there? We did what you are supposed to do and get recommendations from friends, I guess we were just unlucky.

Thanks for your help guys.

yes from a shed.

that pipe in the pic has an isolation valve on it
and cause its not clipped the weight of the valve is pulling on the 22mm pipe.

if you not careful it will leak or has been know to pull the olive off then you are in the sh*t.

while your out get who ever fitted it some hay for his horse.
image-cowboy-patting-his-horse-0000.gif

put a clip either side of the isolator valve (couple of inches away) to support it. Clips available anywhere.

yes from a shed.

that pipe in the pic has an isolation valve on it
and cause its not clipped the weight of the valve is pulling on the 22mm pipe.

if you not careful it will leak or has been know to pull the olive off then you are in the sh*t.

Ah, I see what you mean. So I should place a block either side of the valve and clip there to give support, and perhaps at the other end of the pipe too?

It's the cold water pipe that's the copper. The hot comes through plastic - does that need clipping too?

Worth clipping the plastic - especially since you don't want it "whipping" about into those joints/fittings.

Am I correct in thinking that the cold tap is on the left-hand side of the bath? If so, then the plumber has been a bit naughty since it's supposed to be hot on the left, cold on the right, which given that (s)he has gone for flexi and plastic pipes, would have been just as easy even given his/her clearly limited plumbing abilities. More to the point, if the pipes are going up to a shower mixer, this may have been installed with the connections on the wrong sides.

i wonder if he'll give us any pics on the toilet and basin install.
we might be surprised.

ya is a strange one i can work out if where on mains pressure or what.

just hope he never has to isolate the shower or taps, as one isolation does tap and shower.
he really scraped through on this job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back