Water hammer (?) clipping pipes.

Dextrous,

It is a breath of fresh air to have someone that gives useful answers, doesn't laugh at your problems, and doesn't always say your doomed!

I was teetering at one point :LOL:
As I said, I've now clipped the pipes. I've removed the old sealant and am waiting for the area to fully dry out (the back wall looks a little damp!). I'll fill towards the end of the week, let that dry, and then seal at the weekend. Hopefully that's the last of it!

Hope springs eternal ;)

Sponsored Links
Okay, thought I would give an update. I clipped the pipework myself the best I could by making little wooden supports. This worked (i.e. stopped them banging together), but I decided to get a plumber in (one I trust this time!) to redo the pipework.

The bad pipepwork was ripped out and replaced, so now the pipes come up from the floor, then are brought down along the front side of the bath (easy access), clipped all the way along to the taps. Good job.

I thought I could list you the total amount of things that I have found that were done wrong/badly, and how they were solved. Should give you a laugh.

1) No clipping on pipework as this post says!
Pipework redone in a proper manner.

2) Waste pipe goes "up-hill".
No solution as can't easily raise bath. Not causing too much of a problem as bath drains ok.

3) Waste not clipped, so weight of water caused trap to come away and waste to leak.
I couldn't clip the waste, so instead built up support underneath the pipe using bits of wood, so now there is no movement. Resealed around the waste.

4) Pipes to shower not clipped, and the length of the outlet through the wall was longer than the manufacturer recommended. Net result - shower came away from wall.
Got the trusted plumber to take the shower off the wall, cut back the length of the outlet and refixed tightly. This was the best solution on offer and has worked so far. The only other option would have been to either cut a hole in the wall from behind or rip off the tiling.

5) Leak behind bath.
This is the one that is driving me crazy the most! When the bath pannel was off the wall behind got damp when taking a shower. I resealed, and added sealant where there was none. I've got to the stage now where there is still a leak, but it only happens once every six weeks, produces only a small wet patch and dries in a couple of hours. Really don't know what to do about this one.

6) Cracked floor grout.
Floor was tiled straight onto chipboard (I know this is wrong!) and grouting started to come away.
Bought a better quality grout, has held for sixth months, so fingers crossed.

That's it I think. Don't know what the moral of the story is. We thought we had done everything right in using someone that had been recommended, but I guess poo happens....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back