Water hammer (?) clipping pipes.

Bit odd that it's 22 originally at all on cold in any case. Is it just me or does that waste pipe go uphill to the boss/soil? In which case what happens to foul water from the pan? :cry:

Sponsored Links
i would say that the cold was tank fed at some time.
not sure if the waste is lever and its the copper pipe that dips by the iso valve.

i would say thats a builder/diyer job not a plumber.

Guesstimating the waste rise from the wall. Guess we'll never know.

I can try and answer your questions....

I don't think the guy is a cowboy, just not an expert plumber. What can I say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Cold water is mains-fed. Hot water from a combi.

Bath tap is a mono-mixer, so I can't tell you too much about the orientation of the cold, other than if you are face on, the lever needs to be pointing to your right handside for cold. This seems to match the sink tap.

It is a mixer shower. Again, face on, cold is on the right, hot on the left.

Seco is rght, the waste is ok, I think the copper dips by the iso valve.

I've been to B&Q and got some wood and some clips, so I'll give it a go tonight. Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links
36_1_11.gif

Ok, after having the bath panel off, I have found the noise!

Where the original (i.e. not what the "plumber" did this time) pipework comes up through the floor (where the bath taps used to be, far end from where they are now) the pipes come up one behind the other rather than next to each other. Then at the elbow, the 15mm comes on top of the 22mm. When the cold water was turned off, the 15mm pipe was vibrating, and the nut of the elbow was banging aganst the nut of the static 22mm pipe.

I hope that makes sense.

So today I have had time to clip the 15mm one. I've clipped just after the elbow which has had the dual effect of lifting it a little from the 22mm pipe, and stopping it vibrating when the water is turned off. I've also clipped at a couple more places closer to the taps.

I'll do the 22mm either tomorrow or Friday, and post back.

Is there a chance that the 15mm is the cold and the 22mm is the hot? I can tell you for sure tomorrow after I have had a shower!

Since you advise that the taps are correctly orientated, it would now seem to be the case.

It is - 22mm got hot!

Slightly off the original topic. I have a combi boiler the hot water leaves there in a 15mm. Why would it change to 22mm? Is it because the boiler was replaced at some point and the old pipework left in or something?

It is - 22mm got hot!

Slightly off the original topic. I have a combi boiler the hot water leaves there in a 15mm. Why would it change to 22mm? Is it because the boiler was replaced at some point and the old pipework left in or something?

Yep - to change the 22 to the bath would have involved digging up concrete. Just takes a bit longer for hot water to come through, since it has to displace twice the volume of cold water in the pipe. Also bit less efficient since you will have twice as much unused hot water in the pipework not used when you turn the tap off.

You were right, bath waste does go slightly "uphil". :( About a cm over the 1.5m run. Is this going to cause any major problems?

Dextrous,

Again, thanks for your help. It is a breath of fresh air to have someone that gives useful answers, doesn't laugh at your problems, and doesn't always say your doomed!

As I said, I've now clipped the pipes. I've removed the old sealant and am waiting for the area to fully dry out (the back wall looks a little damp!). I'll fill towards the end of the week, let that dry, and then seal at the weekend. Hopefully that's the last of it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back