Water Tank in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I have soooo many questions, but I have decided to start at the top and work down :)

I have an asbestos water tank, how much of a problem is this? should I consider getting it removed?

It has no cover, just a tatty sheet of polystyrene. What should I really use to cover it up?

The central heating header tank has an overflow which runs straight into water tank. That can't be right, can it? was that ever allowed? I have noticed that most properties only have one overflow visible so I assume they are the same :confused:

The loft is starting to feel like my second home :(

Thanks in advance...

Oh, the house was built around 1968

Cheers

Sponsored Links
rule 1 with any asbestos - don't disturb it in any way!

if you are going to have it removed then ensure that you deal with a company that is registered to handle and dispose of asbestos - check the certification rather than just relying on verbal assurances. Asbestos removal isn't cheap.

Tank cover - rigid, waterproof, vented and insulated

Feed/expansion tank overflow - does it definately flow into cold water storeage tank or is there a shared overflow? Either way round it's not right - each tank should have a dedicated overflow

It deffo flows straight into the cold water storage tank. Worse still, the end that is in the header tank isn't even 'fixed' it just fell out when I was looking at it :LOL: :cry:

Can I buy lid for my tank, or would I be better making something?

asbestos cement tanks,millions of them around.BUT if it was my house i would remove it,fit a plastic tank with by-law kit.ie lid,insulation jacket and over flow connection.vent fitting as well.
no need to remove old asbestos cement tank from loft, just set it a side in loft if possible,out of harms way.fitted loads of these heavy weight tanks in past,they can crack and leak if not supported correctly.so take safety advice when working near tank.never cut tank with a saw.dont push a wooden lid over top of tank as fibers can get in to air.
other tank.simply run a new overflow to outside.good luck.
best get a plumber in to do job but if you want to remove asbestos cement tank from loft contact your local council for advice.building control etc.now things get confused.
i would take the advice of a local plumber in your area who has dealt with asbestos CEMENT tanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't see anything wrong with joining two overflow pipes together as long as the junction is BELOW both tank outlets. What you don't want is water from one tank filling up the other one like what it is now (excuse the grammar). Boiler header tanks can collect all sorts of poisonous chemicals, quite apart from anything you might add yourself. You don't want that in your cold tank because sooner or later somebody's going to drink it.

Asbestos cement - well what can I say? Our school chemistry lab had asbestos mats just like every other chemistry lab. They were standard equipment. I had a square of asbestos cement glued to the end of the ironing board. The trouble is, that's all irrelevant. A few hundred years ago schools used to teach their (rich) pupils how to smoke! At least the poor masses were spared this particular bit of misguided education.

You are stuck with the three choices already mentioned: pay through the nose to have it removed, move it carefully aside and forget about it or leave it alone. Asbestos cement is a bit like a beryllium oxide washer; it's only really a hazard if you disturb it.

PS: An afterthought. If you ever want to sell the house, any surveyor worth his salt will spot that tank straight away and the buyers will no doubt expect a big discount. Either you pay now or somebody pays later.

please excuse my ignorance but were would you expect to find a beryllium oxide washer ?

Thanks

felix said:
PS: An afterthought. If you ever want to sell the house, any surveyor worth his salt will spot that tank straight away and the buyers will no doubt expect a big discount. Either you pay now or somebody pays later.

Oh Bother. It makes me wish I had I survey done before I bought the place now :cry: We haven't long moved in, and money is v.tight.

I think I will try and run separate overflow pipe from the CH tank. It's a nice straight run. Do you think I will be able to find a plumber who will be prepared to plumb in a new tank, and simply move the old one to one side untill I can get it disposed of?

Anyone have a ballpark figure in the costs involved in getting rid of the bl**dy thing?

Thanks for all the advice so far :D

To Brumylad

Beryllium oxide has three properties worth knowing about:

1) It's an excellent electrical insulator.
2) It's an excellent thermal conductor.
3) It's highly toxic.

The first two properties are rarely combined in the same material and so, when we need an insulating washer between a beefy electronic device and its heatsink, we accept the third property and handle the stuff with care.

Put a mask on, break tank up with big hammer, put in plastic bag, find nearest traveller site, dump next to their rubbish, council dispose of for FREE with other travellers rubbish, da daaaaaaa, job done.

Seriously, using mask and rubber gloves, put the tank into large, heavy guage plastig bag, seal it up with plenty of sticky tape and put it carefully to one side. You can decide what to do with it later when either you've got more money or the technology for recycling asbestos improves.

PS: I cannot claim any credit for this seal and store solution. British Nuclear Fuels have been doing it for decades.

PPS: BNF's problems will eventually go away of there own accord. Your asbestos tank has an expected life of some 5000,000,000 years. Sooner or later, somebody WILL have to get rid of it.

Last one of they tanks I had to deal with was in an ex council flat, on a concrete shelf. I'd disconnected the pipes, and lifted the near side to put a couple of bits of 15mm in as rollers.
Then I got a couple of the local bin men to sling it in their crusher, for a fiver. I didn't go near them, I mean, it might have been dangerous.
Odd thing was they wanted a tenner to take the old kitchen which was chipboard.

ok.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back