Weeping compression fittings

+1 - yes it does .... a compression fitting by it's very nature meshes the olive against the 2 mating surfaces, one by only compression (the fitting's face), the other by twisting compression ( the nuts face). These faces, especially just the compression face, when being remade never mesh back exactly the same way again therefore a wrap of tape will seal into those little imperfections.

It's a trusted experienced belt and braces approach and reduces calls backs. It also acts as a lubricant so less tightening force is needed.

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear too .... I am talking about the reuse/remake of compression fittings and their old olives.

New fittings and olives or old fittings and new olives I haven't ever needed to use anything.

it only applies to prestex fittings. which are grossly more expensive and frankly not viable for trade.

Method is typical for most manufacturers tbh.

Trades shouldn't be bootstrapping poorly made, cheap fittings with dubious, not best practices to get them off the job site.

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear too .... I am talking about the reuse/remake of compression fittings and their old olives.

New fittings and olives or old fittings and new olives I haven't ever needed to use anything.

I cleaned up and reuse any fittings i dismantle unless they are obviously damaged. I've never had an issue but then again, I don't fit hundreds of these every week. If i were fitting them professionally, I'd only ever use new ones.

One thing that has caught me out is the length of tube remaining after the olive. If you are unlucky, it can be longer than the socket you are refitting it on.

I now trim my tubes back if I'm reusing any olived tubing. Again, i (absolutely) wouldn't dream of doing this professionally nor do i reuse stuff in hidden, critical locations.

Of course lets not forget the age old argument....... brass vs copper olives :eek:

I now trim my tubes back if I'm reusing any olived tubing.
Is this so that you have a fresh pipe and olive to remake the join?
If yes, what do you do when there is no joint in sight? Do you cut the pipe to fit a new section of pipe in?

Is this so that you have a fresh pipe and olive to remake the join?
If yes, what do you do when there is no joint in sight? Do you cut the pipe to fit a new section of pipe in?

No to the 1st Q.
Fittings, etc are not all the same.
If i can reuse a spool which has already been olived/nutted somewhere else, i will but I'll trim the nose of the spool back 5mm so that it sits ok in it's new fittings. If you don't do this, the tube can hit the back of the fitting stopping the olive from seating properly.
I should just make a new spool but it's a pita and its for my own use so i don't mind.

As to Q2, i try to avoid splicing tubes together. I use a coupling if i have to though.

Of course lets not forget the age old argument....... brass vs copper olives :eek:

Shouldn't really be any argument. Use either for the purpose (service/materials) they are designed for and as recommended by your tube/fittings manufacturer.

Shouldn't really be any argument. Use either for the purpose (service/materials) they are designed for and as recommended by your tube/fittings manufacturer.
Should I be replacing all my brass olives in the toolbox with copper?

I will always use copper olives, I even buy bags of 100 copper olives to swap any brass out. Quite simply a copper olive doesn't need to be tightened as far, that and if ever having to compress to existing plastic then a copper olive is by far the safer choice IMO.

'Spool' ?? never heard of that in all my years of doing this job.

I will always cut a well worn olive off (junior or dremel and plain screwdriver) and replace, especially if the pipe stub is longer than the new fitting will allow - that's more prevalent when changing old valves for new rather that actual fittings.

'Spool' ?? never heard of that in all my years of doing this job.

But that is because you are a professional, not a self confessed DIYer as per the poster's byline.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back