Weeping compression fittings

Sponsored Links
So the DIY'er has made 730 posts in a month which are all his opinion only. As a professional I've made just 2100 posts in 12 years, mainly because I am too busy working to sit at my keyboard all day. My posts are all based on professional experience. With regard to olives on compression joints, the last thing I need is a call back to a weeping joint, but where it is necessary to remake an old joint, I know from experience how to do it. I also know that if I do put ptfe around an olive, the last place it will ever get is in the flow of the pipe as he staed in his last post.
I get very few callbacks, and none I can recall have been to anything as minor as a weeping compression joint, and I make a few, mainly on oil lines where the medium is more searching.

Pipe 'Spools',

spools.JPG

Maybe BlueLoo's house is bigger than you imagined.

So the DIY'er has made 730 posts in a month which are all his opinion only. As a professional I've made just 2100 posts in 12 years, mainly because I am too busy working to sit at my keyboard all day. My posts are all based on professional experience. With regard to olives on compression joints, the last thing I need is a call back to a weeping joint, but where it is necessary to remake an old joint, I know from experience how to do it. I also know that if I do put ptfe around an olive, the last place it will ever get is in the flow of the pipe as he staed in his last post.
I get very few callbacks, and none I can recall have been to anything as minor as a weeping compression joint, and I make a few, mainly on oil lines where the medium is more searching.

If you think that the use of jointing products is only of importance to the joint itself, you need to go back to college or start asking for, and reading oem data sheets.

As for the wierd, ad hominim at the start of your ramble, go and have a read of the rules.

In fact, just do more reading in general.

Sponsored Links
Never used to use anything on compression joints but with the poor quality of fittings these days and the fact i started getting a lot of fittings weeping has meant i now use jet blue on the olives. Since then, all good again.

Reading really does wonders doesn't it.

In the same document Peglar tell you not to add contaminants, etc and to make sure the joint is clean.
Its also noted that unlike the cheaper Prestex range, Kuterlite requires less assembly torque.
Peglar specifically tell you NOT to use jointing materials on the Prestex range, which i think is more akin to the plumbing sector than the industrial Kuterite range.

So, like has been said above, follow the manufacturers recommendations but, you also need to aware of your own requirements.
If a joint is leaking, replace it. Peglar do not tell you to tape every joint, nor would they because that generate system risk. Only as a afterthought should something leak. i.e. a one off.

In a industrial application, you wouldn't get the use of PTFE tapes or jointing compound passed on a MS.
Where fittings leak on pressure test, you would expect it to be replaced, not taped up.

In a industrial application, you wouldn't get the use of PTFE tapes or jointing compound passed on a MS.
So what’s the jointing method say for steel water pipe say 1” involving steel T’s -nipples-sockets etc?

Professionals do what experience and trial and error tell us to do. Documentation is created as a guide only and mostly provides the manufacturer a cover all when it comes to warranty calls. Manufacturers. as we all know, are constantly updating their documentation and making changes to their products, I wonder where all that updated information comes from, it's certainly not all based on R&D, it can't be.

If you ask most manufacturers a lot of their practices, procedures, instructions and updates are based upon real life professionals feeding back, industry requirements, toolbox discussions and peer to peer reviews, amongst other reporting vehicles.

I've actually been on a few feeedback boards for McAlpine, Yorkshire, OSMA and a couple of others, that feedback is then taken forward with industry board recommendations and R&D reporting, especially as it pertains to real life issues and then new solutions are constructed and updated documentation, instructions and newer products are created to replace older versions, happens all the time.

These products are mostly market driven, we as plumbing professionals are that market, those products then invariably filter down to the DIY market once we take it up, refine it and make it an industry standard just as in any business. Documentation isn't ever the be all and end all.

So what’s the jointing method say for steel water pipe say 1” involving steel T’s -nipples-sockets etc?

Taper thread?
Manufacturer approved thread sealant.

Taper thread joints are a completely different beast than compression fittings.

Professionals do what experience and trial and error tell us to do. Documentation is created as a guide only and mostly provides the manufacturer a cover all when it comes to warranty calls. Manufacturers. as we all know, are constantly updating their documentation and making changes to their products, I wonder where all that updated information comes from, it's certainly not all based on R&D, it can't be.

If you ask most manufacturers a lot of their practices, procedures, instructions and updates are based upon real life professionals feeding back, industry requirements, toolbox discussions and peer to peer reviews, amongst other reporting vehicles.

I've actually been on a few feeedback boards for McAlpine, Yorkshire, OSMA and a couple of others, that feedback is then taken forward with industry board recommendations and R&D reporting, especially as it pertains to real life issues and then new solutions are constructed and updated documentation, instructions and newer products are created to replace older versions, happens all the time.

These products are mostly market driven, we as plumbing professionals are that market, those products then invariably filter down to the DIY market once we take it up, refine it and make it an industry standard just as in any business. Documentation isn't ever the be all and end all.

Expectations vs reality is real in engineering, as are unintended consequences.

As always, know your products. Use them according to best practices and sometimes manufacturers do incorporate customer feedback into the PDS'.

You also have to understand what you are doing and why and the reason for manufacturing comments and the context they are made.

Hemp and boss, etc was used traditionally.

Modern thread sealant is much more advanced than that and is engineered to suit the application, service, materials, fittings, etc.
ptfe you mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back