What did you have at your childhood home that you dont have now in your current home?

Huh! You kids...

Andy Pandy (original, strings and all)
Bill and Ben (original)
Muffin the Mule (and the question goes, "it's Christmas. What do you get for Muffin the Mule. With a lenient magistrate, maybe 6 months...")
Four Feather Falls

I recall that a lot of it was on radio ("Listen with Mother"), but most of the TV stuff, when children's TV arrived, seemed to be for older kids:

Ivanhoe
Robin Hood
William Tell
The Lone Ranger (the first.thing I remember ever seeing on TV)

and in any case, very few could afford a TV (the one we watched was in the officer's club)

Anyone remember Robbie/Robert the Robot? (NOT the Space Family Robinson one)

Sponsored Links
For some unknown reason I called Rag Tag & Bobtail, Rag Tag & Burnt, maybe Bobtail was too difficult to pronounce.

That may be a case of people confusing characters - after all Jack Dawkins (aka The Artful Dodger) did have a close relationship with Charley Bates who Dickens refers to as Master Charles Bates (Master Bates?)
A student newspaper wrote a comic article about the show and stones newspapers ran the story thinking it was true, then it was repeated so much everybody thought it was true

Sponsored Links
A telephone with a rotary dial.
My mum.
A Chopper bike.
A shed of my own.
Horrid green & white striped wallpaper that gave me nightmares.
Amway.

I'll throw in Batman and Popeye. Huckleberry Hound and Flintstones. These were played all through the years but were 1960s originally.

You don't think about it at the time (which is probably healthy tbh) however I now wish I'd gone crazy with a camera and a few rolls of 36 exposure film when I was in my teens, taking general pics of the house I grew up in. Interior, exterior, gardens, garage etc. I have snippets of it in family pics, however it would be nice to have pics of the actual rooms and various other stuff to look back on.

The icing on the cake would be cine film, alas we never had one. So easy these days to take pics and vids.

world-forty-vintage-reto-gas-cooker_360_ea05b855f72f287a66f0d5a190ec0d81 (1).jpg

A New World 42 cooker with an eye level grill which made the best toast ever. You could also put your plates beside the grill to heat them.
It also had a wee pilot light which my granny always kept a big kettle of water over. It was surprising how much it heated the water. In the winter it also kept the chill off the air in the kitchen.
The old ones knew how to get the most out of everything.

View attachment 290334
A New World 42 cooker with an eye level grill which made the best toast ever. You could also put your plates beside the grill to heat them.
It also had a wee pilot light which my granny always kept a big kettle of water over. It was surprising how much it heated the water. In the winter it also kept the chill off the air in the kitchen.
We had one very much the same but electric. The grill was great as you say, I've never been able to make cheese on toast as good as I could with that cooker. The drawer at the bottom was for warming plates IIRC. Plate warming seems to have gone out of fashion.

View attachment 290334

Whenever I see one of those in a tenant's house nowadays, it is almost always accompanied by a slightly-nauseating, all-pervading aroma of a lamb stew on the go.
Must be something to do with the age and wealth demographic of the tenants (mostly 70s+).

A New World 42 cooker with an eye level grill which made the best toast ever.
Quite a funny storey about a cooker similar to that. Years ago was doing some work with a family member - builder. During the putting back together stage we moved the cooker back into place and plugged it in to the gas valve. I opened the burners and after a minute or so clicked the clicker to light the burners. The couple that owned the house were watching - they immediately looked at each other in that funny sort of way. Turning back to me, the bloke says; how did you do that? Do what I said? Light the burners. I did it again to demonstrate. Turns out they had the cooker for about ten years and didn't realise you could light the burners by clicking the clickers. They'd been using matches and lighters all that time.

Sponsored Links
Back