What size boiler

So its a trade off, lose out on one to gain on the other.
Cheers Dan, that has all helped a lot. Not sure its helped me to decide which one to go for tho lol!!
Am I right in thinking then it wouldn't matter which boiler you chose? Its down to the house its feeding, the set up of the rads etc?

Sponsored Links
this is why i have a 12kw boiler and cylinder, being in trade i knew the advantages of losing half a cupboard and bit more material cost. Most customers don't unfortunately :p

So you have a standard boiler set up. That would also need a water tank in the loft to service the heating yeah?

So a conventional boiler has the expansion tank in the loft. A system boiler doesn't need one? Which do you have?

Sponsored Links
Iirc Micky has a system boiler and an unvented cylinder. So no tanks in the loft. High pressure hot water a correctly sized boiler and an immersion for backup.

Think your life just got a bit more confusing :D

Cheers Dan, I think your right. Its good to understand these things tho. Sounds like his system is the best set up, having back up if nec. I guess would be more expensive seeing as need a cylinder, pump, motorized valve and immersion heater?

Actually I consider my system a better set up - Thermal Store.

That way I can plug any energy source in and utilise it for hot water as well as heating.

Downside is that you can't easily use compensation controls - but it isn't a deal breaker usually.

All the components in a combi boiler are in the cylinder based system one way or the other - with the exception of the immersion heater.

And of course the Intergas Combi down't have the diverter valves and second heat exchanger.

There are many many ways of skinning a particular cat.

The choice is never ending eh :)
But as always it comes down to money. For my size house and just 9 rads, is the combi my best option. Would I really notice any improvement going for a system boiler?

"Best" is a matter of opinion.

Micky and I have slightly differing views on what is the "best" boiler. But both our favourites do the job of work.

Only you can decide what is best for you.

A combi will be perfectly fine.

An unvented cylinder may get quite involved - water main upgrades etc.

You'll need to do some pressure and flow tests to see if an unvented is worth doing. this has been covered on the forum quite a lot though so have a little search.

From you opening post though i would probably lean towards a Combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back