Which Fernox product

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing a number of rads and most valves, this also means some mods to the pipe work. Whilst removing the old rads, it was quite evident that the system hasn't had any protctor of any sort in it for a number of years. Thick black sludge from one rad Ii did a test flush on and two of the rads had leaks from the seams. I assume the rest of the system is going to be pretty clogged up.

Which fernox product do I choose, there seem to be a number for commisioning new systems or sludge removers for old systems. My system is now all new rads but two and old boiler and cyclinder.

Which one do I pick that will remove the flux debris and the sludge and maybe descale to a point, without being to aggresive? (open vented s-plan).

Sponsored Links
Well as it's now all new rads (but 2), you have no need to be careful about them. The other two you'll just have to watch. You only get leaks after flushing if the flushing has removed rust which was sealing a leak, so I'd get it all as clean as possible. If the two old rads have latent holes, you need to know about it now!

Which means DS-40, which is a mild acid. It won't have too much to do as it's only cleaning the pipes, Blr and Cyl. It needs flushing out well, so you flux residues etc will go with it.

You might like to check the connection where the feed pipe meets the rest of the system, hard scale can build up here which won't dissolve. Well worth doing if it's accessible.

I have just replaced all of my old "stainless steel" downtstairs pipework with copper, I have also replaced 4 (out of nine) radiators.

I had a look on this forum to gaet some ideas on flushing out the sytem and I opted for Fernox Concentrated Restorer. I left this circulating on normal heating cycle for a week, as per instructions.

I have now completely drained and refilled and then drained again a total of 9 (nine) times and the water is still coming oot brown! It looks reasonable clear when running from the drain cock but still looks almost as dirty as the first rinse in the pail.

Should I carry on flushing with fresh water or call it a day and fire some inhibitor in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back