wire free home alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was wondering are these in store off the shelf wire free home alarms any good and how handy are they to install

Sponsored Links
Your better off getting a wired alarm. It's much better in the long run.

If you want to go wireless then IMHO I would go for what the professionals install like Infinite prime, Risco wisdom, Visonic Powermax.

The wireless stuff like yale is designed to be easy to install but I wouldn’t touch it. Some have problems with it others don’t.

I can vouch for their reliability if installed correctly.
I have installed over 130 for clients , old people single ladies etc or someone without the time to install or the ability to read the English instructions.
Not a problem at all when done correctly.
Have sold many to people wanting to self install too and no comebacks.

Many pro installers dismiss them but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise why they would dismiss them.

You will of course have to climb a ladder to near the eaves! don't do what I see some Yale self installers do and fit the box from the third step of a stepladder???

Only John Wayne installers use them.

Sponsored Links
Many pro installers dismiss them but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise why they would dismiss them.

It's because they know better, and not some conspiricy to gain more work or what ever it is you are trying to insinuate

It's because they know better, and not some conspiricy to gain more work or what ever it is you are trying to insinuate

'We know better'

Could you qualify that remark with specific examples rather than a generic slur.
Could you also qualify your experience of actually installing them also?

FastAlarms, some questions about the Yale system

The Yale system operates on 433 Mhz radio frequency and has an anti-jamming feature.

433 Mhz is used by many other types of equipment.

What does the anti-jam feature do when it finds the receiver is being jammed ? Does it frequency hop the system to change frequency to avoid the jamming signal ? That is the only effective anti jamming method. ( other than finding and closing down the source of the jamming signal ).

What does the anti-jam feature do when it finds the receiver is being jammed ? Does it frequency hop the system to change frequency to avoid the jamming signal ?

Any attempts to jam the signal result in the alarm activating.
If this is caused by local inteference then the anti jamming can be turned off to prevent false alarms.
Most burglars are armed with a screwdriver and a pair of grips if anything at all. The instances where alarms are jammed by device are so rare in the lower end of the domestic burglary market that I have yet to come accross a single instance in the last year.
As an aside though bmw cars had their security breached by a brand of wirefree doorbells where activating the wirefree doorbell was known to lock and unlock any nearby bmw vehicles..
No known instances with the Yale.
As you know alarms have now adopted 866MHz as the standard to avoid any crosstalk.
Should I have a high value home or a commercial property with high value goods then Yes I would not suggest Yale .
If the prospective criminal is likely to be a career professional rather than an opportunist then I would suggest a grade 3 system with dualcom , This however would price the system out of the users bracket.

Also Jamming is the deliberate act of swamping a band to prevent other signals being intercepted not to be confused with spurious signals at the same frequency. Other wireless devices at the same frequency such as wirefree broadband , doorbells , car remotes etc are simply ignored by the Yale as they do not offer the same handshake or protocol.

The wireless stuff like yale is designed to be easy to install but I wouldn’t touch it.

Why must you be so specific? there are plenty of other wireless self-install alarms on the market. What you have said is nothing short of a veiled attack towards Fastalarms, As you knew he would post because he deals with wireless systems.

or what ever it is you are trying to insinuate

So just to confirm, you're not actually sure what is being insinuated then? :rolleyes:

Why must you be so specific? there are plenty of other wireless self-install alarms on the market. What you have said is nothing short of a veiled attack towards Fastalarms, As you knew he would post because he deals with wireless systems.
Friedland Response will that do?

It looks like your trying to start trouble out of nothing. My post did not contain ANYTHING, which would be considered an attack towards Fastalarms!! I have no problems with him installing yale systems.

I am sure many others on this site install hybrid alarm systems or full wireless alarms. Fastalarms is not the only one who installs wireless!!

Friedland Response will that do?

Just a shame you never thought of either of them in the first place.

It looks like your trying to start trouble out of nothing.

That is a joke, isn't it? - Do you need me to provide links to threads where you and others have done just that to fastalarms!?

I have no problems with him installing yale systems.

Of course not... thats why you have to jump on him and Yale at the first chance you get, even when its advice to Yale alarm users.

Fastalarms is not the only one who installs wireless!!

I'm just noticing that the moment alarms or wireless alarms are mentioned many many people on the forum feel the need to slate Yale... You being one of them.

Me and others have pointed out that Yale is aimed at the diy market and you don’t look professional installing them fulltime. I have pointed out before that there’s much better equipment out there.

If you are referring to the two sirens post then. What me and others were trying to point out is going against manufacturers instructions is not a good idea.

I don’t think I have slated Yale alarms, in my option your better using what the pro’s use.

Everyone has an opinion. If you think that cheap radio crap is great - then use it. Leave the pro stuff to the pro installers.

thanks lads for all the advise took on board every thing everyone had to say
really only wanted it as a deterrent someone at home most times and good nosey neighbours
liam2804 :rolleyes:

thanks lads for all the advise took on board every thing everyone had to say
really only wanted it as a deterrent someone at home most times and good nosey neighbours
liam2804 :rolleyes:
Sorry Liam , you asked about DIY in a DIY forum what did you expect sensible advice?
I do wish all the usual suspects would stop putting their boring old two penneth in these threads bernard green excepted everyone else just make comments based on perception rather than actual experience adding nothing to the discussions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back