Wiring a new light with a dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me advice please on how to wire a new 3light ceiling rose up to my old dimmer switch in the living room...

I have a basic understanding of electrics ( ! ) , have been working on it today and here is where i am stuck...

on removing the fan-light that was there i found there were 4 grey mains cables sticking out of ceiling... one of these was not connected and is from the dimmer...the other 3 were connected as normal...

i.e 3 reds to red...3 green/yellows to g/yell and 3 blacks to black..when i try to connect the 4th switching lead to the wiring which colours go where...on this one i have a red...a green / yellow and a black ( with a red tab on it ) i know this is the neutral switching lead but now my lights wont switch off except at the trip...any advice please lads...

Cheers Gavin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back