Wiring in under cabinet lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently built a small office at home with built in shelving above the desk. I would like to add some lighting to the underside of the bottom shelf, but am unsure how best to do it.

The room currently has a single pendant light and a single light switch. Ideally, I would like to make the switch a double, so that the second switch does the under-shelf lighting.

For nice subtle lighting, i believe LEDs are the way forward? Can these be wired into the existing lighting circuit and run off a switch?

Sponsored Links
Can these be wired into the existing lighting circuit and run off a switch?
The simple answer is yes.
The layout of the circuit will depend on the type of lighting you purchase, some can be wired directly to the mains voltage, others will require transformers. And you must understand that a circuit requires a line and neutral conductor to function and a CPC/earth for protection.
There many requirements on the way, method and routes that the cables can be installed, that keep it compliant.

You'll probably have to run a cable from the switch, and another from the existing light fitting to the under shelf location.

Or it may be easier to just have a separate switch under the shelf and wire this up to a plug that would go in one of the 13A sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back