Would PR help UKIP

Sponsored Links
JBR WROTE "UKIP has the interests of all of the UK at heart. Unfortunately in Scotland they have apparently been rejected by the majority of the population."

Rejected? not even started!

Mr Farage has been up here, he went to the Royal Mile In Edinburgh, then went into a pub where Mr F was entertained by some Students, Mr F then had to be "Rescued" by the Edinburgh Constabulary.

Yes, I agree that UKIP has 'not even started' in Scotland. OK, let me ask another question.

Why are Farage and his party so disliked in Scotland? Is there a simple answer?

Probably the simplest answer is not that they are disliked, but merely irrelevant to most of the electorate.

Scotland are strongly in favour of staying in Europe. UKIP want out. It's not the Scots that want to leave the union - it's the English. Hence UKIP and Tories aren't too popular. Remember, UKIP is more to the right than the Tories, whilst SNP are more left than Labour.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Scotland are strongly in favour of staying in Europe. UKIP want out. It's not the Scots that want to leave the union - it's the English. Hence UKIP and Tories aren't too popular. Remember, UKIP is more to the right than the Tories, whilst SNP are more left than Labour.

Quite so - and also being mainly defined by one plank of policy doesn't help, as regardless of breadth of manifesto they are seen by many as a single issue party

ie a party that wants out of the EU because they don't like foreigners

Sponsored Links

All the more reason why Scotland should become independent. The ideal solution.

Perhaps the Scots who vote for SNP can see the folly of their economic policies and know that the EU would bail them out, like they did Greece. :LOL:

Quite so - and also being mainly defined by one plank of policy doesn't help, as regardless of breadth of manifesto they are seen by many as a single issue party

UKIP may be seen as a single issue party - immigration. But is that not the single most discussed issue in the UK. You only have to look on the GD forum to see that the most popular threads are about immigration. True, the other parties talk about more policies than UKIP but we all know from experience that they have no intention of carrying them through.

• Thanks

UKIP may be seen as a single issue party - immigration. But is that not the single most discussed issue in the UK. You only have to look on the GD forum to see that the most popular threads are about immigration. True, the other parties talk about more policies than UKIP but we all know from experience that they have no intention of carrying them through.

Single most discussed in the UK or in England though?

I think that is the point , perhaps this issue is not the hot topic in Antrim , Dumfries and Betws - Y - Coed that is in Barking.

Single most discussed in the UK or in England though?

I think that is the point , perhaps this issue is not the hot topic in Antrim , Dumfries and Betws - Y - Coed that is in Barking.

Good point. I don't know enough about Scotland or Wales to comment on the amount of immigration or how the indigenous people feel about it. I get the feeling that the English are not very welcome in these countries so would assume that immigrants from outside the UK would also not be welcome.

I suspect that not many immigrants go to Scotland or Wales as they haven't a clue what the hell they're talking about. :LOL:

I suspect that not many immigrants go to Scotland or Wales as they haven't a clue what the hell they're talking about. :LOL:

:LOL:

Nosey lives in England and I havn't a f*cking clue what he is talking about either :LOL:

Sorry Nosebag. I luv you really :mrgreen:

• Thanks
JBR Wrote
"Why are Farage and his party so disliked in Scotland? Is there a simple answer?"

No easy answer, as ever anything to do with politics gets complicated.

if I can really, really try to answer this question on a without prejudice basis meaning ignore my well known leanings and try to get an honest answer it would be as follows, in no particular order?

1/. UKIP have no infrastructure up here.
2/. If you log into the Scottish UKIP web site the last entry appears to be 2013? [this indicates that the UKIP management up here are in effect shall we say lacking?]
3/. The UKIP Representative / Leader in Scotland is the only UKIP mEp who in effect won this position because of the vagaries of the election process for the European Parliament being PR voting.
4/. The Radio and TV up here give daily indeed Hourly bulletins on what the main parties up here are going to do or are about to spout, we hear about. Labour, Conservative, SNP, Etc. BUT" there is nothing at all, at all, about UKIP. it is almost as if UKIP and the Monster Raving Looney Party are being treated by the medial up here as a complete total non-entity?
5/. As I have been banging on about in here for a long time, UKIP have no Local Councillors, no MSPs, and certainly No Westminster MPs, ad as far as I can see absolutely no infrastructure to support a Candidate, or multiple Candidates.
6/. On both Radio and TV up here we are bombarded by a long litany of both Nationally and Local to Scotland well known personalities, whose faces we in Scotland are well known to seeing or hearing, BUT there is no such UKIP Person / Personality / Spokesman.
7/. The only exposure UKIP gets up here is Mr F on both the BBCs and ITVs National news gets a slot on national TV or Radio.
8/. Without some sort of local, and dare I adventure to say locally "Scottish" aspect that is reported on local to Scotland TV and Radio UKIP will remain below the average man in the street of Dundee's awareness
9/. it can be argued that the majority of people that will vote UKIP at the up-coming Election will do so because it will be a "protest vote"

OK I am about to be mauled over this, fine that is why I am here, BUT? how much do you really know or understand about the Scottish, and the Rational behind the way we vote?

Have fun with this all.

I look forward to informed input as to what is actually on-going up here right now.

Ken

JBR Wrote
"Why are Farage and his party so disliked in Scotland? Is there a simple answer?"

if I can really, really try to answer this question on a without prejudice basis meaning ignore my well known leanings and try to get an honest answer it would be as follows, in no particular order?

2/. If you log into the Scottish UKIP web site the last entry appears to be 2013? [this indicates that the UKIP management up here are in effect shall we say lacking?]
3/. The UKIP Representative / Leader in Scotland is the only UKIP mEp who in effect won this position because of the vagaries of the election process for the European Parliament being PR voting.
4/. The Radio and TV up here give daily indeed Hourly bulletins on what the main parties up here are going to do or are about to spout, we hear about. Labour, Conservative, SNP, Etc. BUT" there is nothing at all, at all, about UKIP. it is almost as if UKIP and the Monster Raving Looney Party are being treated by the medial up here as a complete total non-entity?
5/. As I have been banging on about in here for a long time, UKIP have no Local Councillors, no MSPs, and certainly No Westminster MPs, ad as far as I can see absolutely no infrastructure to support a Candidate, or multiple Candidates.
6/. On both Radio and TV up here we are bombarded by a long litany of both Nationally and Local to Scotland well known personalities, whose faces we in Scotland are well known to seeing or hearing, BUT there is no such UKIP Person / Personality / Spokesman.
7/. The only exposure UKIP gets up here is Mr F on both the BBCs and ITVs National news gets a slot on national TV or Radio.
8/. Without some sort of local, and dare I adventure to say locally "Scottish" aspect that is reported on local to Scotland TV and Radio UKIP will remain below the average man in the street of Dundee's awareness
9/. it can be argued that the majority of people that will vote UKIP at the up-coming Election will do so because it will be a "protest vote"

OK I am about to be mauled over this, fine that is why I am here, BUT? how much do you really know or understand about the Scottish, and the Rational behind the way we vote?

Have fun with this all.

I look forward to informed input as to what is actually on-going up here right now.

Ken

Pretty comprehensive I'd say, Ken.

Scotland isn't bothered about UKIP and UKIP don't bother much with Scotland.

Ken, I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at.

You (singular) want independence but you (plural) voted against it.
If I say I don't know what is going on up there - other than on the news those who still want independence shouting loudly - is it any different than I don't know what is going on in East Anglia.
If there were a movement for independence in Dorset, would you know what is going on down here?

You seem to think Westminster treats you differently because you are in Scotland but they don't; they don't care about us either.
At least, for some reason, you have a local parliament to look after some of your affairs - we don't. We are stuck with what London decides for everything.

Dare I say "Stop whinging".

Micilin wrote

"UKIP don't bother much with Scotland."

In a phrase "Spot On"

Nigel has been up her on two occasions, both ended in ignominy.

My opinion is that Mr F has in effect abandoned all aspirations up here, one severely lacking "Spokesman" no effective active Web site, I have no idea what is going on, with Social Media.

Simply NO presence, No profile, no Scottish known person to whom a Scot can relate, no well known faces or voices.

I am of the opinion that UKIP in Scotland is a lack lustre one man band ? operating out of his front room?

The only votes UKIP will get up here are a form of protest vote?

I may be badly incorrect, BUT the only time I see UKIP is Mr. F. in sound bites, OK but nothing at all, at all about Scotland is forthcoming?

I have only seen the UKIP Scottish "Leader" on one TV debate where he was in all honesty torn to bits over a remark He made about a very highly respected Asian person and the remark was about Abu Hamza?

Sorry to bang on about this BUT? for all of our avid English Contributors, I hope the last has set your minds at ease as to where UKIP is [or is NOT] up here in the far frozen north?

Have fun with this post everyone

After all it is open to review, may assist if you live up here and can further contribute with a local personal perspective.

Ken

JBR Wrote

Have fun with this all.

Ken

Thank you. A very comprehensive reply.

I can understand why the majority of Scots have no interest in Farage or UKIP, but what I cannot understand is why he received threats and was obliged to hide in a pub, to be rescued by the police. What on earth had the poor man done to deserve all that?

Sponsored Links
Back