ZIG ZAG UnSAFE zone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2.5mm² twin and earth from socket at floor level in a stone wall goes on average at 30° from vertical up to the ceiling. The ( apparently qualified ) electrician had removed mortar from between stones to be able to press the cable into gaps between stones before replacing the mortar.

Regret no picture as it was ripped out before I heard about it.

Sponsored Links
2.5mm² twin and earth from socket at floor level in a stone wall goes on average at 30° from vertical up to the ceiling. The ( apparently qualified ) electrician had removed mortar from between stones to be able to press the cable into gaps between stones before replacing the mortar.
Yes, I've seen that sort of thing, and suspect that it is not all that uncommon.

I have to say that I sometimes wonder whether the concept of safe zones does not introduce some hazards, by creating a sense of (possibly 'false') confidence. Except (perhaps!) in a brand-new house, one simply cannot (should not) "assume" that there will not be buried cables outside of safe zones, so one has to (should) take all possible steps to satisfy oneself that no cables are present before drilling/ nailing/ screwing/ whatever. The probability of cables being outside of safe zones is obviously less than the probability of their being within safe zones, but since that probability is not zero, one really cannot (should not) take any less precautions than if the concept of safe zones did not exist.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I've seen that sort of thing, and suspect that it is not all that uncommon.

I have to say that I sometimes wonder whether the concept of safe zones does not introduce some hazards, by creating a sense of (possibly 'false') confidence. Except (perhaps!) in a brand-new house, one simply cannot (should not) "assume" that there will not be buried cables outside of safe zones, so one has to (should) take all possible steps to satisfy oneself that no cables are present before drilling/ nailing/ screwing/ whatever. The probability of cables being outside of safe zones is obviously less than the probability of their being within safe zones, but since that probability is not zero, one really cannot (should not) take any less precautions than if the concept of safe zones did not exist.

Kind Regards, John
Yes but you may or be surprised how many people (even tradesmen) who have never heard of electrical or gas safe zones

Yes but you may or be surprised how many people (even tradesmen) who have never heard of electrical or gas safe zones
Not surprised at all - however, that merely underlines what I said. Since one cannot rely on cables having been installed in safe zones, and cannot rely on people subsequently 'working on' the building to even know about safe zones, it is really incumbent on anyone with a drill, screwdriver or hammer in his/her hand to do whatever is possible to satisfy themselves that they are not about to damage a cable!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In the stone wall in question would it not only be unsurprising but almost obvious?

I know it should be done in a protected cable but that doesn't help, does it?

It was done in my Ma's place.

T&E bent round the corners of house bricks before the mortar being replaced.

Never mind the hidden cable, what about those tight bends in the cable?.......

I have to say that I sometimes wonder whether the concept of safe zones does not introduce some hazards, by creating a sense of (possibly 'false') confidence.
I agree entirely. I've seen people advised about "safe zones" as though there's absolutely no chance of hitting a cable if one drills elsewhere, which, of course, is nonsense, for the reasons you've already mentioned. It would be interesting to know exactly how many people outside the trade and outside the more enlightened DIY circles have even heard of the concept. And I've even heard the advice offered without pointing out that the idea is a relatively new one anyway, so there are going to be plenty of homes which were wired completely to the current regulations at the time without cabling being in the so-called safe zones.

Seen it done with mineral cable hidden in mortar, suppose could do it with Ali-tube but would think the bends would be rather extreme, but twin and earth that is taking the Mick.

I agree entirely. I've seen people advised about "safe zones" as though there's absolutely no chance of hitting a cable if one drills elsewhere, which, of course, is nonsense,
As is the interpretation that people are advised to put cables in the right places when what they are looking for is advice on where to drill.

It would be interesting to know exactly how many people outside the trade and outside the more enlightened DIY circles have even heard of the concept.
Those who are competent to be installing cables. Those who have not heard of it are not competent.

And I've even heard the advice offered without pointing out that the idea is a relatively new one anyway, so there are going to be plenty of homes which were wired completely to the current regulations at the time without cabling being in the so-called safe zones.
And also those wired more recently but not in compliance with the regulations.

But what do either of those facts have to do with whether people should be told to follow the current regulations or not?

Don't call then tradesmen.

There are many better words

Chartlatans
Numpties
Chancers
Con merchants
Liars
.​

It would be interesting to know exactly how many people outside the trade and outside the more enlightened DIY circles have even heard of the concept.
Those who are competent to be installing cables. Those who have not heard of it are not competent
Even if we take that as being so, it doesn't help the person who is not installing cables but is merely drilling into the wall to put up shelves or a cupboard.

But what do either of those facts have to do with whether people should be told to follow the current regulations or not?
The point is - and I assume this is what John had in mind as well - that the whole concept could be considered somewhat flawed when (a) many people who aren't doing electrical work but are carrying out other DIY have likely never heard of safe zones anyway and (b) as you rightly point out, there's no guarantee that even after the concept was introduced cables haven't been run elsewhere.

I don't think we have any idea in this case whether the cable was run before or after the whole "safe zone" idea anyway, do we?

P.S. When did the idea originate - 16th edition?

Even if we take that as being so, it doesn't help the person who is not installing cables but is merely drilling into the wall to put up shelves or a cupboard.
It has to help more than a complete free-for-all. Whatever the chances are of hitting a cable in the wrong place, that probability diminishes the more cables are in the right place.

The point is - and I assume this is what John had in mind as well - that the whole concept could be considered somewhat flawed when (a) many people who aren't doing electrical work but are carrying out other DIY have likely never heard of safe zones anyway and (b) as you rightly point out, there's no guarantee that even after the concept was introduced cables haven't been run elsewhere.
Please explain why that means that people should not be told to install cables in the right places.

I don't think we have any idea in this case whether the cable was run before or after the whole "safe zone" idea anyway, do we?
Please explain why that means that people should not be told to install cables in the right places.

]

It has to help more than a complete free-for-all. Whatever the chances are of hitting a cable in the wrong place, that probability diminishes the more cables are in the right place.
That would depend upon where somebody who has no idea about the concept was drilling, surely?

Where has anybody said that they shouldn't? Although personally in this particular case I'd be more concerned by this:

Never mind the hidden cable, what about those tight bends in the cable?.......

It was brown / blue so not an ancient installation.

Stones in rough stone walls can and do move, lime mortar is flexible, so over time a cable between stones could be crushed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back