Automatic cars.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
One of the earlier posters said that automatics were for old 'uns. Well, I bought my first auto, a 3-litre Granada when I was 31. Kept it for a year and then bought a brand-new Vauxhall Nova. Drove this for nearly 3 years and got totally brassed off with pushing the clutch up and down driving to and from work. I chopped the Nova for a 1.3 Astra B auto, and I've had autos ever since. My current vehicle is a 1.6 Astra G auto. Why anyone should *want* to use a clutch and gearbox, especially when driving around a city, I cannot fathom. I will concede that for track work and fun days stick-shift is better, but for normal driving? Auto every time.

I can see it if your doing a huge amount if stop-start city driving, but I dont, and would prefer manual. Much more option to play about, just generally more interesting and envolving.

Daniel

auto are utterly useless on a track.

Really ? All the current F1 cars are semi-auto, no clutch for those boys !!
and the CVT style transmissions were developed in F1.

perhaps the clue is in the word semi, you may not have a (manually operated) clutch, but you have control of which gear you're in, this is not the case with an auto, that wanders up and down the box, and most irritatingly of all esp on a track, kicks down when you don't want it to.

my particular, dislike of autos, is when trying to get away sharpishly from a roundabout, you give the accelerator a firm boot to get you off the mark, but instead it kicks down, and doesn't move for a while. ok I know you should stick it in 1st, but its an auto!!

BTW, I drive an auto.

1982 i was the proud owner of a Fiat 131 Sport, the orange go cart with a 2lt engine which won 5 world rally championships, the country roads around Bristol were my playground, low profile tyres rear wheel drive i eventually got put in my place by an Audi Quattro.

However that was then, there is no way with todays traffic that i could drive more than 5mins without being stuck in a traffic jam, so what is the point of a clutch other than to exercise your leg muscles.

As i stated earlier, if you want a truck with a manual gearbox it's an optional extra, two people in my street have Audis, both have paddle gear change on the stearing wheel, you heard it hear first, the days of the clutch are numbered, it might outlive the Euro, JUST! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm actually thinking of putting a mod on my Aprilia Mille in the form of a quick shifter, (clutchless gear changes for the uninitiated):cool: , now a motorbike you can still have fun, due to its ability to weave through traffic. :LOL: :LOL:

perhaps the clue is in the word semi, you may not have a (manually operated) clutch, but you have control of which gear you're in, this is not the case with an auto, that wanders up and down the box, and most irritatingly of all esp on a track, kicks down when you don't want it to.

my particular, dislike of autos, is when trying to get away sharpishly from a roundabout, you give the accelerator a firm boot to get you off the mark, but instead it kicks down, and doesn't move for a while. ok I know you should stick it in 1st, but its an auto!!

BTW, I drive an auto.

The CVT system isn't semi.!! ( It's crap,possibly the worst auto system of all, but it isn't semi)

Also, even the torque converter operated dinosaur style automatics have the facility as you elude to of manually changing up or down the box.

BTW, I drive an auto.

The CVT system isn't semi.!! ( It's crap,possibly the worst auto system of all, but it isn't semi)

Also, even the torque converter operated dinosaur style automatics have the facility as you elude to of manually changing up or down the box.

Well a continuous variable transmission, was a bit rubbish, as used on the DAF 600, i believe the belts had a nasty habit of slipping off. personally for 90% of driving an auto is fine, but sometimes they're annoying. i owned a tiptronic, and that was better, it wasnt a DSG though.

When I referred to the CVT developed in F1, I was refrring to the batch of transmissions that appeared in the early 90s in Fiesta, Micras and Punto, to name but three and are still present in some models to this day, with some further development.
Admittedly the old Daf belt drives were CVT, but the later batch had thankfully gone beyond the rubber band stage, but they were still woefully awful !!!

Sponsored Links
Back