Automatic cars.

automatics are for old people.....and boring drivers!!

hoy shut it ya young whipersnapper, ive spent the last week or so trying to decide between an xf jag and a bmw x6, both 3L and auto,
although...............................

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm DSGs are great... Sister went to look at an Octavia with a DSG gearbox..... The gearbox itself requires a service every 2 years at around £180 a pop, the clutches are expected to last around 60k miles and will set you back about £1500 to replace.... She bought a Toyota Yaris auto in the end

I'll stick with my six speed, though I must admit tat the DM flywheels used in diesels are pants....

Sponsored Links
I think the mercedes lorries were one of the first to have semi automatic gear change. I drove one through Germany as I'm Class 1 licenced.
pred will know.

The first one i drove fully automatic was a Volvo FL in the early 90's, now if you want a manual gearbox it's an optional extra, i think the reason they became so popular was the ease to drive, any idiot can drive an auto, even our friends from eastern Europe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wonder how many deaths are attributed to auto boxes alone....?

A little old and perhaps tenuious but back in the 80's there was a case of a mercades lorry pulling a tanker of petrol or oil which crashed in a town in Germany. It's brakes had failed and the auto (or semi auto , I forget)box wouldn't let the driver select a lower gear to slow down or stop the vehical as a lower gear would have speed the engine up too much.I'm unsure as to if there were any fatalities though. I've tried googling but haven't come up with the incident but do remember reading it in Truck magazine.
As I say it was back in the 80's and auto boxes have got a lot better.

Me personally would suspect the driver of dozing off, i assume all the evidence would have perished in the flames.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-08/news/mn-2680_1_explosions

Never seen an auto FL. :cry:

I've only ever seen the one, Safeway had it on their fleet, not to sure of the year, it was in another lifetime.

The new FM's i think are probably the best on the road at present, and the three stage exhaust brake is far superior to anything else on the road.

hoy shut it ya young whipersnapper, ive spent the last week or so trying to decide between an xf jag and a bmw x6, both 3L and auto,

ooooooooooo def the jag................v.nice.....then a nice run down to Blackpool to show it off methinks.......oh....then maybe you could sort out my downstairs plumbing......as discussed :D

ooooooooooo def the jag................v.nice.....then a nice run down to Blackpool to show it off methinks.......oh....then maybe you could sort out my downstairs plumbing......as discussed :D

haha given another post ive just read, im scared, been to look at a couple of jags, but due to a business offer we have been made im spending the jag cash on a house purchase in portugal, so its on hold for a few weeks, but im deffo getting the jag as the x6 is only a 4 seater unless you go for a 10 plate at about £32k, but ive seen a couple of cracking 10 plate jags premium luxury with just about every toy, 3L V6 broom broom haha, will prob end up going down to engurland to pick one up so i might pop in for me tea ;)

haha given another post ive just read, im scared, been to look at a couple of jags, but due to a business offer we have been made im spending the jag cash on a house purchase in portugal, so its on hold for a few weeks, but im deffo getting the jag as the x6 is only a 4 seater unless you go for a 10 plate at about £32k, but ive seen a couple of cracking 10 plate jags premium luxury with just about every toy, 3L V6 broom broom haha, will prob end up going down to engurland to pick one up so i might pop in for me tea ;)

dont forget your tool belt... :D

dont forget your tool belt... :D

my tools dont work anymore (except my stanley knife) :oops:

I've read all through this thread and I've got to admit it just proves the point that it's down to personal choice, if you want a manual, get one, if you want an automatic then get one and just let everyone get on with their lives!

What I don't understand Joe is that you initially asked why do we still have to drive manuals and be behind other countries,( we don't, there's plenty of automatics about) but later you say you have been driving for 40 years in a manual ???
Why haven't you got an automatic is you feel so strongly about them?

Sponsored Links
Back