moving a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single socket behind a wardrobe with 3 lots of power cables coming into it. I want to put a new socket a metre away how do I connect these cables I want to blank the existing socket off

Sponsored Links
mandsrees said:
I have a single socket behind a wardrobe with 3 lots of power cables coming into it. I want to put a new socket a metre away how do I connect these cables I want to blank the existing socket off

plugwash
Do you mean that I put the 9 cables into the 30A terminal blocks

you need to connect all lives together, all neutrals together and all earths together (you should end up with 4 of each once you add the ones from your new socket)

a 3 segement long peice of 30A terminal block should handle this connection job easilly.

Sponsored Links
3 lives into one terminal
3 neutrals into another terminal
3 earths twisted togeter at the end and connected to the earth terminal in the socket back box.

RF Lighting said:
3 lives into one terminal
3 neutrals into another terminal
3 earths twisted togeter at the end and connected to the earth terminal in the socket back box.
I thought this was frowned upon.

Normally yes, but the earth terminal in some back boxes are not very good so twisting will ensure earth continuity is maintained

Wow yeah....i can remember when i was training and my tutor screamed not to ever twist wires together .....mind you he even blew his top when he found a wire stripper in my tool bag.
He would only ever let us strip wire with the tips of our wire cutters.
In the real world like RF says sometimes twisting is the only way to get those wires in safely.

maybe better to use another way in the terminal block to join the earths and then run a flylead to the box earth terminal (assuming the box is metal)

Hang about,
first you should check it`s a ring and not a branched radial (tree).
Even then, if it is a ring with a spur on = 3 cables (9 wires) then you would end up with two spurs at one place on a ring, that`s a no no.
Check it`s a ring then extend the ring to your new socket.
I could tell you how to do that but I`d preffer you to contact a pro for safety.
Do not twist wires together, double them, and leave a blank plate over the site of the existing socket in order to indicate it`s position and therefore likely cable runs, also it allows inspection of the strip connector at a later date.

ebee said:
then you would end up with two spurs at one place on a ring, that`s a no no.
and what reg would this be or are you just repeating hearsay?

Ideally, all sockets on a newly installed ring would be on the ring itself, if spurring at any time, no more total spurs than sockets on ring, you may spur directly off the ring , or at point (socket say) or at the origin of the ring (the fuseway), only one spur at any one place (it`s a potential current draw problem if you use more), a point is either a single or a twin or a fused multiple.
The term spur I used above really means unfused spur, if you want multiple spurs off one place then it should be fused (ie 13Amp max = total of the spur itself)

ebee said:
only one spur at any one place
i repeat my question can you give a reg that backs this up or are you just repeating hearsay?

also i don't see how two spurs from a place with no point is any worse than a spur from a point

It`s not a reg in itself as such that specifically says "Only one spur at any place on a ring final" or similar, it is an agreed CONVENTIONAL CIRCUIT ARRANGEMENT that is derived from design consideration of the regs in their entirety and that part is in itself with refference to current draw and overheating of the cables/terminals.
Like in a similar fashion I don`t think there`s a reg that specfically says "Don`t open a live socket and stick your finger in it" yet the regs do conspire to make this forbidden (much as you`d expect really).
No think about what potentially could be the current draw at the place on a ring where two unfused spurs are connected.

ebee said:
I don`t think there`s a reg that specfically says "Don`t open a live socket and stick your finger in it"

Electricity at work act 1989

Regulation 14.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back