Please look if you are a professional plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, following my post yesterday explaining a fault I was having on my recently installed new system, it quickly came to my attention that it wasnt just us that thought their piping was below par. So I have taken pictures of most of the visible pipework and I hope that proffessional pipe fitters and CORGI installers can advise me what to do.

In total we paid about £3750 and the initial estimate £3500 (not itemised unfortunatly).

So to start with, the radiator that has never worked which we advised them of before the install to which they informed us the pressured sealed system should sort this. On their advisement as they informed us it was likely the radiator was siezed we replaced the radiator and the valves etc.

So, Dinning room Radiator and their pipework.. which they then joined to 2 older pipes which run under the living room to the rad in the kitchen

02022009010.jpg

and the rad that made me start this topic: The Kitchen rad and pipework (Rad above is being fed from the pipes you see here going into the floor), which as you may be able to tell with the holes, has already been corrected due to the state of it (it looked like a W!). I will also inform you that this is a NEW radiator which was also installed by them

02022009011.jpg

02022009013.jpg

02022009016-1.jpg

02022009017.jpg

The Blue room.... or Bedroom 1 part 1:

Pipes feeding kitchen rad:

02022009022.jpg

Pipes feeding the Living Room Rad

02022009021.jpg

and the Living Room rad:

02022009018.jpg

02022009019.jpg

so Id thought Id see just how it would look if it was level..

02022009020.jpg

anyway, back too the Blue Room.

The Blue Room's Rad:

02022009023.jpg

Now the pic below isnt that clear so let me just clarify.. the pipes come out the wall on top of each other.... and now the come out so they're next to eachother...

02022009024.jpg

Re-using and old pipe

02022009025.jpg
and also left the old clips from the original single pipe system there.

So the pipes go through that wall and into the shower room:

02022009026.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks it was pointless re-using such a short bit of pipe? anyway... more shower room pics:

02022009027.jpg

02022009028.jpg

hmmm nice and paralell.

Anyway.. it then goes from there and into the study

02022009038.jpg

02022009039.jpg

02022009040.jpg

02022009041.jpg

02022009042.jpg

02022009043.jpg

Anyway. now onto the Hallway. The two white pipes were there from the old system and were reused. Now before this work these two pipes ran down the wall nice and level all the way down which you can still see evidence of from the top...

02022009030.jpg

roll in their handy work to re-use these pipes and look what happens:

02022009031.jpg

pipe has now been bent a comes out from the wall, meaning it no longer fits back into its clip

02022009032.jpg

02022009033.jpg

02022009034.jpg

Bedroom 2 (which is connected from the above hall)

02022009035.jpg

02022009036.jpg

again doesnt fit into its clip

02022009037.jpg

And now for the upstairs where the only work they did to any of the rads was this:

02022009044.jpg

Inserted and valve.

Bathroom:

Still running single pipe setup?!?

02022009045.jpg

And of corse, the new boiler placed in a new position in the loft:

02022009049.jpg

02022009050.jpg

Which when mounting they went to far and their screws came out onto our upstairs landing, which they have "fixed" by cutting the end off one and putting some shiney cover thing over the top, and slightly unscrew the otherones where some dents are still visible:

02022009047.jpg

New Flu out the roof which I can see daylight from...:

02022009051.jpg

And how it looks from the front of the house:

02022009052.jpg

02022009053.jpg

02022009054.jpg

My Dads had a brief word on the phone with him a minute ago but is not going to be here tomorrow as he has work but the installer now knows we are not happy with the state of some of his work. So we shall see if they still turn up tomorrow and put things right...

If they don't turn up/ say they wont put it right, what action would you recommend I take?

Sponsored Links
I saw your instruction not to respond yet, but then this is a forum, so instructions are pointless. :D

On what date did you agree the contract to have this work done?

Work was started and finished about a week before christmas. They came back in the new year to see why the system is losing pressure. The shower room was leaking so was disconnected (also disabling the study rad).

He promised to come back to replace old pipe theyd used as he couldnt get a weld... Did he come back? No.

After chasing he came back as I explain I was getting very ****ed off with the fact I have paid him for a complete job and have been left with two rads disconnected with one still not working.

He reused the bit of pipe that he said he was going to replace and somehow got a weld to it this time... said he'd be back to brick up the whole where the old Flu used to be in the kitchen which was left open all this time and also replace two valves upstairs which he thinks is causing a loss of pressure (which is still happening). He is due here tomorrow and to investigate why the dining room rad still isnt working.

The work has never fully been completed as of yet... as I still have a system at the moment which is loosing pressure and a rad that doesnt work. :evil:

Jeezo, where do u start!! Did they arrive on horseback!!?
You certainly have a case for getting the lot ripped out & all re-piped!

Sponsored Links
That is p1ss poor workmanship, looks like a BG install!

The list of faults is endless, **** boiler too-those Vokera's are cheap and nasty.

Get Corgi in. There is absolutely no way that this is the work of a registered installer and if it is, then they should be de-registered without delay.

Mind boggling awful from start to finish.

My first reaction to this is that it is some kind of wind up!
How on earth anyone would pay up for that abortion is beyond me. as has been said the list of faults is endless & I would seriously question this guys qualifications. Personally I would rip it out & start afresh if I was called in to tidy it up, it would be the cheapest & best option.

Get Corgi in. There is absolutely no way that this is the work of a registered installer and if it is, then they should be de-registered without delay.

Mind boggling awful from start to finish.

The thing that concerns me with this is from our old boiler.

Let me set the scene:

Gravity fed single pipe system in need of a new boiler...

Corgi installer installs Vailiant non condensing boiler built for sealed pressurised system, installed after the building regs dictated all boiler replacements should be condensing. Flu not installed in accordance with Corgi guidlines. Boiler installed against Manufacturers instructions. So we got Corgi round with the installer... what was the outcome? Our boiler gets signed off as dangerous and told to get a system overhall (hense this post), what happened to that installer? Sweet FA. So my confidense in Corgi is far from high, especially as what Iv been told is all they can action is illigal gas work, and as far as I can see that Flu is fine, as is the gas pipes going to the boiler... Oh and equally im not sure if the company itself is Corgi Reg'd but I think the guy that did the gas work was... so not sure how that works?

Apart from the atrocious sate of the pipework the main point I would make is that he has used the wrong flue to go through the roof. He should have used a vertical flue kit. The flue he has used is only for passing through vertical brick walls - here is no way he will achieve a weatherproof seal with the way he has done it.

Shocking indeed. Lazy and inept. Reusing scraps of pipes - no effort to keep pipe runs level, parallel nor straight. All in all p*ss poor.

Not a gas man myself, but am i right in thinking that the gas pipe to the boiler is 15mm? Thought that wasn't legal.

Is the installer Corgi registered think corgi should be called it to check the quality of his handiwork to question his competency of even the most basic things.

Never seen a flue come out horizontally from a roof before - would love to see the slate tile that enabled this.

Get some legal advice .

As has been said previously, there is no point trying to tidy that crap up, it should all come out. Roofing work / appropriate flue needs doing. Spending a few quid on pipe clips would be nice too.

I would have thought that you would now need to be going through the route of trying to get the installer back to correct all work and showing that you are giving them a reasonable chance to do so, prior to small claims court action.

it is hard to tell but the terminal looks upside down :eek: plus you will still have the site regs about distance to the nearest surface, as the roof is sloped and the flue is barely poking through I would say it is wrong on that account as well

Dont wish to poke at you,but, jeez nearly 4 grand for that pile of carp.
You really didnt do your home work.

Seek legal advice, report to corgi requesting inspection.

Dont let it drop :!:

one week plumbing course= quality :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back