Please look if you are a professional plumber

I would have thought that you would now need to be going through the route of trying to get the installer back to correct all work and showing that you are giving them a reasonable chance to do so, prior to small claims court action.

Look at the state of the soldering, apart from everything else. Would you want him back in your house?

Sponsored Links
Look here

If they didn't give you written notice that you could cancel the contract in writing within seven days, then you would have no trouble getting your money back. They have committed a punishable offence. You could threaten them with legal action and Trading Standards, but you would keep quiet if you got your money back, or you could just do it anyway.

Never seen a flue come out horizontally from a roof before - would love to see the slate tile that enabled this.

Looks like it's a standard lead slate turned around to give it the angle to go out horizontally, you'll never get a good seal on it.

Got to be reported to Corgi, although I don't think much will be done about it as a lot of it is a quality issue.

I think it's fair to say that we all agree it's a terrible job, quite possibly below legal standards. How come you paid up after seeing it?

On a slightly different track, it's scary how some installers are registered and tested as legally competent, and one has to wonder what cans of worms are around from the self-proclaimed "competent" (you know who I mean!!!)

Sponsored Links
Look at the state of the soldering, apart from everything else. Would you want him back in your house?

Not at all but it seems to me that the OP is going to have to get formal to get any satisfaction on this one.

If he eventually goes down the small claims route then he must show that he has made every effort to enable the original contractor to rectify the work.

The judge would be unimpressed if he doesn't and is likely to chuck the case out. Even worse, if he engages someone to correct the work without giving the contractor this opportunity then he will lose his right to claim.

That's why he needs proper legal advice.

If he eventually goes down the small claims route then he must show that he has made every effort to enable the original contractor to rectify the work.

You're right about the legal advice of course, but there's surely ample evidence here that this guy isn't capable of rectifying his work to a reasonable standard.

The flue has not been installed to manufacturer's instuctions and therefore must contravene Gas Safety Regs.

Why did you pay him ????
Is that "CARLING" box, In picture 2 empty???
Was he pi55ed ???

This thread should go in Diy Disasters forum! :(

Why did you pay for such shoddy work and did you not pull them up at the first sign of bad workmanship :?: :(

SHOCKING and I would not let this go!

i would class the flue as ID and cap the gas.if its snowing where you are , turn it off and first thing in the morn contact corgi.This guy is dangerous.

demand your money back this is a shocking standard of work :( a first week apprentice could do a neater job!!
i would agree that the flue surely contravenes current gas regs :rolleyes:

Also cant believe you never pulled them up as soon as the first rad was piped half way up the ceiling!! Would hate to think the botch jobs these guys have done over the yrs.......NAME & SHAME THEM!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back