Recent content by phatboy

  1. P

    Replacement Windows - what's the point?

    I had this argument with a window supplier. Explicitly requested no vents, and they provided illustrations to match. Then the windows arrived with vents in the sashes that looked terrible. When questioned, they said 'Building regulations say it has to be this way'. I corrected them and told...
  2. P

    JohnW2

    A shame for everyone, online and otherwise. One of the few posters who I cannot recall a single impolite post from, not even a little bit.....
  3. P

    Replacing cast iron bend with limited space

    Thank you, I did mean a compression fitting, as a push fit wouldn't need much render removal at all! For a compression I can see me cutting back a large area, then needed to re-render it. All fun and games!
  4. P

    Replacing cast iron bend with limited space

    Thank you, that settles what it is, and what needs doing, then! Internal access is behind the basin, but then the pipe goes into the floor until it appears outside. I will see if I can break enough wall out to get a push fit elbow on the outside securely, as it will save a load of hassle...
  5. P

    Replacing cast iron bend with limited space

    You make a good observation! I went there yesterday and extracted the broken elbow gently, and it along with the pipe are plastic. The pipe is very thin walled compared to what I'm used to, but it seems like a solvent weld 36mm elbow will just about go over it, with some careful persuasion...
  6. P

    Replacing cast iron bend with limited space

    This is in a youth hall I volunteer at. Budget is close to non-existant. I suppose I could core a 45mm hole and run new waste out at the wall level... What looks shaky? The iron pipes feel solid, but the exposed bends clearly are not. Also why are they best into trapped gulleys? They are...
  7. P

    Replacing cast iron bend with limited space

    Cannot really replace to outside as it’s under the floor. I could get a universal on if I cut the render out. The second photo is I believe original. I suspect it will fail next as well!
  8. P

    Replacing cast iron bend with limited space

    Hi all, I need to replace what believe is a 1 1/4" waste elbow, serving a basin. Installation circa 1960. I think it was cast iron. ID 33mm, OD 38mm (Of the pipe inside the remains of the fitting ) As you can see, the part coming out of the wall doesn't have much space. Attached is a photo...
  9. P

    Roughneck foam gun- taking it apart?

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Expanding-Professional-Insulation-Application-Applicator/dp/B0F6LG9GS7/ref=sr_1_18?s=diy&sr=1-18 2 pack of cheapies. I found some cheap ones I bought were identical to the expensive Fischer one. I did repair them and exchange parts between. But now for the price I...
  10. P

    Best product for leaking shed roof

    I'll 3rd it, and rubber4roofs - their kit was good, and took me an hour to fit once everything was cleaned up - came with plenty of glue and a tube of sealant for edges. You cant beat 1 big piece of rubber to cover the lot
  11. P

    Strange Plastic wedge

    a weep vent
  12. P

    Straightening out fascia

    I wasn’t clear, the old wooden fascia was already in place, and would have been a nightmare to remove as the slates were resting on it. In the end we ran a line across it, and nailed a load of glazing packers where the dips were. Worst was 6mm, so the packing ran from 1-6mm and back again. The...
  13. P

    Straightening out fascia

    This is happening at the moment finally. Would you find a way to force the wood fascia forward and somehow get a packer behind? Or pack the front at, say, 500mm intervals, and nail through the same positions? Looks to vary by about 10mm along the house length,
  14. P

    Floor Joists.

    To make it easier on yourself check what size the timbers are now, and replace with the same. One of my rooms was 125x28mm or something like that. Also check if they do go into the wall, mine didn't and were on sleeper walls in the middle and at the ends, with a DPC under the timber, which was...
  15. P

    Converting flat roof from cold to warm roof

    What a lovely AI generated reply, of zero value
Back
Top