‘Eaves’ course, sloping valley.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all.

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere:I searched around for what I thought were the right terms, but couldn’t find an answer.

I’m about to start skating the inner faces of a double-ridge roof with a wide gutter between them.

Photo 1 shows both roofs, with the vallley structure between them. The base spreads from about 750mm at the far end, to 200mm at the outlet end. This extends 300mm up the rafters on both sides.
7F3F8219-3A69-4E36-9C30-2123F0C0B75B.jpeg

Photo 2 is from the rear, looking over into the valley. This is about the best angle I’ve got to show the ‘eaves’ course below the two veluxes…
7978967C-522C-4707-A7FB-01D35EC02597.jpeg

Photo 3 has a close up of the battens/slate course in question, which brings me to my concern. The purple line is batten to be added to head-fix the eaves course (red slates). In order to provide the spring along the yellow line, I was planning to add a strip of 12mm ply (in the absence of facia). Most of our slates are 350 long, with a gauge of 130, hence the narrow batten width. I have some longer (500) slates which I was planning to use for the eaves course to avoid the angle of the kick changing too much, but am concerned the change in angle where I have to transition from one batten down to the next (between the slates shown in the picture) is going to be too big due to the shorter slates pivoting more, hence give us rattle/breakage/leakage issues.
544FD8C0-38FF-4341-BDAA-A941B6046F18.jpeg

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether what I’m doing is sensible, or if there’s a better method?

Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
Don't do a kick angle; lay things out so the eaves courses don't kick

ps; that's an impressive gutter (and scaffolding job!)

Thanks Robin. We knew the job was going to take a long time (started in April) and couldn’t move out all our stuff into storage, so decided to go for the full scaffold to remove the stress. Has been a great, if expensive, investment…it’s actually quite pleasant working under there, even on really crappy days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back