09 Fiat 500 Power Steering Fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We brought a secondhand Fiat 500 at the weekend and all was fine on test drive ect. However.....

Whist doing paperwork we left ignition on for about 5mins and a power steering error came up! Restarted ignition & ran engine all was ok.

Done a 2hr motorway journey home without any problems, enough time to charge a low battery I would have thought.

Anyway missus drove to work today and whist driving and steering went heavy & the same error came up. Restarted engine all ok again.

So i'm hoping its a simple fix like battery or Alternator and will test tonight with muitimeter.

Car started this morning no problem so i'm thinking its not the Batt, i'm wondering if its the alternator or worse!!!

Any help or advice especially for this model please.

2009 Fiat 500 1.2 Petrol 70kMiles.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I think you are on the right track, but if you have time check out BBA Reman for any common faults with the steering ECU.
Initially it sounds as if both the alternator and battery are OK as the car started fine.
Do check the level of the PAS fluid though.....if it gets low the system overheats.
Was this a private or a dealer purchase?
John :)

Ok, think this car has an electric motor and does not have a fluid etc... not too sure?

It was a small dealer, he is not overly helpful but has insisted we get it checked.

Small dealer or not, he has to sort things for you here. Apparently there are a few issues with these motors and I believe it is a variable assist type too which is complex.
John :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks John, yeah it has a City mode so steering becomes even lighter, bit pointless if you ask me. Dealer is aware and he's not a problem at the moment. Got car booked in for Friday with an independent garage so we're hoping it wont be major just trying to get a few pointers on here so we're prepared.

Ok, so car went in and had a the power steering motor sent off for repair, got it back and all is well so far. Even better the dealer picked up the bill (y)

Too late to be any use, but my daughter's 1.2 Punto had something similar. That has electric PAS too. I went for a recon. steering motor. Onl ything I would say, if it happens again, is to double-up the engine and body earth straps. She had one disintegrate on her INSIDE the insulation. I have no idea if the same design is used on the 500, but the steering pulls quite a heavy current when manoeuvring, so it needs a good earth.

Sponsored Links
Back