1.0mm flexible cable for downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought some ceiling Downlights pk of 3, and it says use I.00mm cable so will flexible cable be ok instead of 1.00 mm grey 3 core..
I plan to use the ceiling pendant cable from the ceiling rose to the first light then flexible 1.00mm from the first Downlights to the others in a daisy chain..
Does this sound ok...

Sponsored Links
You must have an earth at each fitting even if class 2.

You must have an earth at each fitting even if class 2.
i will use 3 core 1.0mm flexible cable but l don't know what to do with the earth wire as this light system does not need a earth...
At the wiring block on each light is a live and neutral in a electrical block but no earth ... So do l snip the earth off on each connection to these blocks or replace the two block for a three block and just connect the earth wire in though it's not needed ..

At the wiring block on each light is a live and neutral in a electrical block but no earth ... So do l snip the earth off on each connection to these blocks or replace the two block for a three block and just connect the earth wire in though it's not needed ..
Do not snip the earth off - it could be needed for a subsequent fitting. If a '3-block' will fit, then what you suggest is probably the best solution. The alternative would be to terminate the earth wire in just a little bit ('1-block') of connector block and tuck it away somwhere safe.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Be sure to replace the ceiling rose for a junction box.

Maintenance free ones (Hager/Ashley) are best if it's not going to accessible.

Don't be tempted to use the old rose as a junction box.

Often twin and earth is best to use, as you tend to get a better connection IMO - though flex woould be acceptable.

Leave a decent amount of slack at each fitting to allow easy wiring up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back