Replacing pendant for downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have a pendant light in my hallway and want to replace with downlights as I have a few left over.

Question I have is can I push the ceiling rose into the void between ceiling and floor, and wire the terminals from the rose to the downlight and daisy-chain the other 2 downlights from that one?

Or is that the norm?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I currently have a pendant light in my hallway and want to replace with downlights as I have a few left over.

What a coincidence, I have a load of downlights that I'd like to replace with a pendant light.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Question I have is can I push the ceiling rose into the void between ceiling and floor, and wire the terminals from the rose to the downlight and daisy-chain the other 2 downlights from that one?

Or is that the norm?

No, not quite right.

You don't use the ceiling rose, you replace with a 20 amp junction box. You need to copy the connections as the rose, just do the same connections in your junction box.

The junction box needs to be the maintenance free variety if it cannot be accessed in the future.

You can daisy-chain your wiring as necessary. Be sure all the new wiring has an earth conductor connected throughout, even if the fittings don't require it. If the new fittings don't have an earth terminal, terminate in a 5 amp connector block.

Make sure any bare earth wires are sleeved with green and yellow sleeving.

Or is that the norm?

You will probably have a challenge there. The pendant will have been sited either on a joist, or there will be a substantial piece of wood (aka noggin) there to support the pendant. So there won't be a "void". You'll need to find locations for your downlights that avoid any timber and other obstructions and provide the necessary clearances (good luck). Also, you'll need to divert all of the cables that go to the exiting pendant location to a downlight hole, so that the terminations can be made, and accessed, in the future.

THESE are designed for the job.

If you cannot access the void from above, your going to have fun.
As previous posts state accessible or maintenance free joints/junction, ceiling plan to avoid joists, noggins and other obstructions such as existing cable and pipework.

I can access them from the bedroom floors. Question i have is about the wiring. I will deal with the rest

I can access them from the bedroom floors. Question i have is about the wiring. I will deal with the rest
So, you will be having no laminate, carpet, bed, dresser, wardrobe etc.

You do seem somewhat arrogant in your desire for free information.

Thanks Sparkwright -

Maintenance free junction box and mirror connections. Terminate earth in 5A terminal block and daisy wire away,

Perfect.

So what about compliance to Part A of building regulations, are you not interested in that either?
It's not all about the connection you know/don't know!

Thanks Sparkwright -

Maintenance free junction box and mirror connections. Terminate earth in 5A terminal block and daisy wire away,

Perfect.

ALL earths, old and new, must get joined together in the junction box in the terminal provided. You need a 4 terminal 20 amp junction box.

At the new lights, make sure the earths are connected together. The new lights may require an earth. If so, use the earth terminal provided.

If the lights don't require an earth, then at each light connect the earth wires together in a 5 amp connector block.

Hope this is clearer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back