1 1/4" x 4" ceiling joists ok to walk on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house - 1900 victorian mid terrace - and just had my first look in the loft to find it is covered in wool (which I think is OK), there is some damage to the felt (but the tiles look alright) but the thing I am worried about is that most of the joists are 1 1/4" x 4" - is this too thin to walk on?

These joists span from outer wall to an inner load bearing wall for approx 10 feet and are 11" apart. There is a much thicker strut/ truss that sits on the load bearing inner wall and connects at an angle to the roof.

I'm not looking to convert it or anything, just want to be able to walk about freely to do wiring/aerial/fix felt etc

Any advice or comments? Would laying board down reinforce things a bit?

Thanks

T

Sponsored Links
Not only are they fit to walk on, but yer missus will have all her junk up there before the week's out.

I know this because we used to live in a victorian house with exactly the same sort of roof.

The structure was absolutely solid for over 100 years until somebody came along to buy it and their surveyor said it wasn't structurally sound anymore.

So you can walk on it, but don't let a surveyor know, as once he finds out you will have to stop.

There is a much thicker strut/ truss that sits on the load bearing inner wall and connects at an angle to the roof.
This is called a "purlin" ;)

Unless you are clinically obese then the 4" timbers are fine to walk on

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the ridiculously quick responses, I'll stuff my missus and get her up there immediately.

I'll let Cyril know at our next fat club :)

Cheers

T

Would laying board down reinforce things a bit?

Thanks

T

I hope so. I've put down some chipboard boards in my loft in the hope that, not only do they make walking about less of a worry, but they may spread the load.

Plus they will let the missus get even MORE junk up there...........

Don't put boards on or you will miss the comedy moment when your wife puts her foot through the lats.. I laughed for days..:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back