1.2 16v Corsa IAC valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having fitted the said valve many thanks cjbigboy. I see in my haynes manual it says take to main dealer to have ECU memory cleared. I take it theres no way i can do this.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, has the IAC valve cured the fault and the management light staying off?

The ECU memory only stores a certain amount of data, i.e fault codes etc from something like the previous 20 starts. So over a period of time the original fault code will disappear from the memory.

This is one reason why when people have an intermittant problem it cannot be found as it has be deleted form the ECU memory.

If however the Management light is still on, better go to the dealer.

Hope this helps

cheers

CJ

To be honest im not sure if this is the cure but only have the car on tic over up to now no tax or mot to try on the road....yet. But did tick over smoother than previously. Did get a few coughs when blip the throttle. maybe i need to check i got the air box seal on right it was so dam cold this morning. But when had codes checked they sort of hinted to start with IAC then if not cured Air flow mass meter which they said also showed code so might have to think about that if symptoms still exist when on a run

Ok MAF really popular fault to and sadly alot more expensive to replace.

Fingers crossed you dont need it

CJ

Sponsored Links
Took corsa out for test drive on way for MOT but still get loss of power when revving upto about 50mph and engine man. light comes on. (Almost feels like a Audi 100 my dad had with blocked fuel filter if you let the throttle off and then ease on picks up) The corsa ticks over well no spluttering and sounds fine but when you make demands on it it dies is this mass meter fault. I cant get it to die when idling also another thing not sure if a clue but throttle pedal feel heavy or hard to press almost like a diesel, local MOT station said needs electronic tuning to teach it to drive again is this so? Any help greatful.

trevlynd

Firstly, Not sure of your original fault BUT an IAC valve fault will not restrict power. The X10XE engine does suffer from the hot wire (thing that monitors the air flow within the air mass meter) becoming damaged due to water ingress.

If this becomes danmaged it can do 2 things.

1, bring on the ecu light. The car will then go into "LIMP" mode. This is what you are experiancing when you say your car wont rev up and it wont go over 50mph. It is there to help prevent damage to the engine but still give you enough to get home.

2, The Air mass meter will provide the ecu with false information. In easy terms it will be telling your ecu that only 500gph of air is being fed into your engine, therefore your ecu will tell your injector not to fire in so much fuel. Resulting in no power.

You really need to plug into the tech2 to see. Also be aware that if your air mass meter is playing up your ECU will tell tech2 that your No 1 Lambda sensor is f****d.. DONT beleive it, 99.999999999999% of the time this code shows because the AFR is all over the place. Check your lambda readings It should be flicking between lean and rich every few seconds and be flicking between 350 to 1220.

Hope that helps.

Mick.

Thanks mick any help is greatfully received.
The corsa is my sons and have 2 months before he is able to get insurance together to get it on the road.
When we bought it from auction the ecu light came on and as said crawld along. I took it to main dealer who read codes they said qoute. Read trouble codes- one code present for throttle valve adjuster. One code not present mass air flow meter. They suggested change the throttle valve adjuster first and wiring loom if no better then mass air flow meter. It was like pulling teeth to get that much out of them but having changed the IAC and still at times looking for the slip stream of a passing milk float to whip in behind i think the MAFMeter must need replacing.

Should i fit a MAF first then go for code reading or bite the bullet and have reading done before fitting. I have never found it so difficult to get a result for a service you pay for as I have from this agent it seems to be 3rd hand from the showroom staff before you get it.

i would suggest having codes read first. I know i personally wouldnt charge you if you came to me and asked me to check codes but i cant speak for other main agents.

dont want to frighten you, but have you seen the price of the air mass meter ? They have come down in price quite a bit but they are still overpriced in my opinion.

Dont jump to hastily into letting them fix it. go back to the garage who first diagnosed the IAC valve and tell them the fault is still there. They will probably check it free seeing they have already meant to sorted it.

Just let them tell you whats wrong and give you a price (parts & Labour) then tell them you will let them know.. plead poverty what with christmas and the bloody wife wanting a new coat etc.

The meter is VERY easily fitted. To be honest i may even have one knocking about somewhere.

Regards,

Mick

Sponsored Links
Back