1/2" male to female flexible connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While converting a bathroom into a wet room I wanted to fit a flexible connector between service valve and toilet cistern, so I needed a 1/2" male to female flexible connector. While these are available. they are uncommon and thus expensive.

However, my local plumbers merchant showed me that a 15mm compression to 1/2" female would do the job by just removing the compression nut and olive. Since my internet search didn't reveal this most useful fact, I though others my find this tip useful too.

Sponsored Links
Just be careful and do not overtighten as the compression coupling has a sharp edge to accomodate the olive which will cut into the rubber seal and then leak.

Pete

It is a rubbish tip.

As mentioned - the chamfered end of the compression side will cut the washer and it WILL leak eventually.

To do this kind of bodge it is best to use a 1/2" tap connector extension or do the job properly in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Yup, had to replace a few DIY jobs that have subsequently leaked and they couldn't figure out why the washer kept on getting damaged.
BTW a service valve has a tap connector on one end of the valve and compression on the other and connects directly onto the inlet. An isolation valve connect inline and has a compression fitting at each end, I guess you have an isolation valve there, not a service valve, if the flexi was going between the valve and the cistern?

Easiest way to do it is, isolation valve > small piece of copper > a 15mm to 1/2" nipple fitted > then flexipipe connects to that. The 1/2" nipples have a flat face that doesn't cut into the washer. Or as Dan mentions, correctly sized pipework directly to a service valve on the inlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back