1 cold radiator - oct 1st

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , i had a new combi (worcester 24i junior) boiler and radiators installed in march, everything worked fine eventually.
now that the cold weather is here, ive started using the rads for the 1st time since april, but the last radiator(the only rad with no thermostat) on the system(closed system) located at the bottom of the stairs is stone cold, checked all the rest and they all seemed fine except for another one in the room located above the stairs, this one is half hot on one side and luke warm on the other, i'm sure the pipes lead down to the stone cold one. also noticed 2 of the other 6 radiators lost heat after a couple hours , not ending up cold but tepid. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Room thermostat may be set too low, the system may not be balanced correctly, also you may have air trapped in the system. To clear the air, turn off all the rads that are working and see if the others come on.

just tried the two radiators only , still the same put the desired temperature up to 22 degrees celsius the bottom of the stairs remained cold , whilst the one above got hot on one side and warm ish on the other , both pipes connected to it are boiling

both pipes connected to it are boiling
Do you mean that both pipes going into and out of your cold radiator are hot yet the rad is cold?
Sounds like they are both "flow" pipes.....both trying to push hot water in from both sides....
Has that rad ever worked?

Sponsored Links
no the radiator thats half hot ,in a room above the stairs, both of its pipes either side are hot. The pipes leading down to the cold radiator at the bottom of the stairs are cold as in the radiator at the bottom of the stairs

Bleed the air from the half hot radiator
And from the cold one i would imagine
And then look up "balancing"

Im hedging my bets on something stopping the flow, be it air or debris in the pipework.

What size is the pipework?

Did the system get cleaned when the new boiler was fitted?

Bleed the air from the half hot radiator

i remember asking the installer (warmfront) and he said they dont need bleeding and he left no key ( i thought due to it being a closed system)

What size is the pipework?

Did the system get cleaned when the new boiler was fitted?

not sure looks like regular copper pipes, in a semi detached 3 bedroom house 8 rads
dont think it was cleaned , just remember it being loaded,and it said something about using as much existing pipework as possible

Ok pop down to your local diy store and pick up a bleed key.....then bleed the air out of the rads......
Remember if air comes out then water will need to be put back into the system.....
This is not difficult...
Before you bleed the radiators look at your boiler....you should see a pressure dial......take note of where the pointer is (should be between 1 and 2 ish)
Bleed the rads and then go back and check...if the pointer drops below 1 then you need to add some more water....
You should see a braided silver looking loop below the boiler and attached to 2 pipes.....it should have valves on it.....you need to open them to top the water up to about 1.5 ish.......
Then make sure you close both valves again....

Failing that call yourself a plumber and get him to do it for you.....

As for not having to ever bleed radiators.....wow....where do i buy those?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back