1 fan, 2 rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please advise me how to wire an extractor fan, which extracts from 2 bathrooms. I need to know how to turn it on from either room. I thought a PIR might help as the lights are dimmed in both rooms.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
How have you installed this?

Is it a ducted fan with some sort of Y-connector to allow 2 rooms to simultaneously work.

How would the fan differentiate between room 1 and room 2 ?

Why dim bathroom lights anyway, most other halves want max light so they can see to put slap on and check for wrinkles :rolleyes: :LOL: .

Has the fan got timer settings for over run after the lights are turned off.

Its a ducted fan in the loft, doesn't distinguish between rooms.

Way past the wrinkles stage!

Fan has a timer, yes!

Thanks

Technically you could do it by duplicating the wiring to both switches so that the switched live of the fan connects to both switched lives of the switches.
Not sure how a PIR would affect it.
Not sure if it is allowed within the regs

Both switches should be on the switched side of one double pole switch and fcu.

Phil

Sponsored Links
philrosenberg said:
Technically you could do it by duplicating the wiring to both switches so that the switched live of the fan connects to both switched lives of the switches.
Not sure how a PIR would affect it.
Not sure if it is allowed within the regs

Both switches should be on the switched side of one double pole switch and fcu.

Phil

Which would mean that both lights ( which connect to their own switched live ) would be wired in parallel and if one was switched on then the other one would also come on.

Assuming both lights are on the same looped live ( both on the same MCB)then the easy way is to use a two pole switch in each room. One pole for the lamp and the other for the fan's switched live.

The live goes to both commons, on L1 goes to the light in the room. the other L1 goes to the fan switched live.

Very common in commercials - use a DOUBLE POLE Switch.

One pole switches the LIGHT for the room, and the other pole is in parallel with the other rooms 'spare' pole to switch the switched live to the FAN.

Could I use a PIR in each Bathroom as a switch for the fan? Enter the room, the fan comes on until the timer switches it off?

Thank you all for your help.

yes.

you would need to connect the output of each pir to the fan's input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back