1 x fan, 2 x rooms, 2 x lights, switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added a second bathroom and created an effective extraction system using one mixed flow fan, with timer over-run (hence switched-live connection), ducted to both 'rooms.
I should like to be able to switch the fan on from either room and to also have these switches activating a LV in the respective rooms. This is partly to encourage switching on/off of the fan.

My electrician says that it can only be done with relays and implied it was complicated. I have given it some thought and come up with the circuit shown (please excuse child-like rendition on MS Paint), using 2 additional two-pole switches.
View media item 7017
Can anybody please tell me whether this is a reasonable/workable/acceptable solution before I suggest it to the electrician.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no as either switch will turn both lights on

listen to your spark he is correct
not too complicated though
matt

no as either switch will turn both lights on

matt

That won't happen as the switches are double pole so the fitting which hasn't been switched on will lack a neutral.
However, it's very poor circuit design and not something I would install.

Hint - listen to your electrician.

hey gary your right I didnt notice the double pole switches
that will teach me for jumping in too quick
but regs wouldn't allow it anyway

matt

Sponsored Links
Removing the neutral for the purpose of switching is not permitted by the regs.

Mainly because it is VERY dangerous.

Stick to your day job and listen to your electrician.

That would do it TicklyT, might need to re-jiggle it a little bit to install a fuse if the fan manufacturer says it needs it.

TicklyT's method is correct, I've installed and encountered such designs, it's not all that uncommon, especially when you have a bathroom/seperate loo. In fact I've done one on a ongoing job, bathroom+ utility, both fully internal with difficult ducting. (and so will have the most powerfull 4" inline fan I can find...)

A big "Thank you" to all who have replied and especially TicklyT for taking the time to draw the circuit. It has all been extremely helpful.

Could I just ask your opinion as to the relative merits of this solution compared with the one involving relays. Obviously Hairyben has opted for it some cases, is that for cost or simplicity reasons, or maybe something else?

BTW Hairyben, the fan I am using is a Vent-Axia ACM150T and I am very impressed with the performance, it manages to eliminate condensation even when split between two ducts, and one is over a power shower. It was too much for just one shower: like standing in a strong wind when naked and wet:-causing many complaints from family. Mind you, I am using 150mm ducting as well. They do make a 100mm model too.

Thanks once again to everybody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back