1 gang switch with two common inputs?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought a house and want to replace the old 1 gang light switch in the kitchen with a more modern one (like the newer sockets from when the kitchen was refitted).

After taking the switch off the wall, it seems to have two wires connected to the common, and one to the L1 output. The wires to the common are red with some brown paint on them, and the wire from the L1 is just red.

I assume that this switched live is actually wired backwards, and that the two common inputs are supposed to be the outputs? If that is the case then is there any harm in leaving it like that for the new switch, or should I flip them?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's what I thought. I expect it would only be important if I also needed something wired to L2, but for a straight 1 gang common <-> L1 only wiring, either way breaks the live connection.

Be aware some switches use L2 rather than L1 for 1 way switching, it still works but the switch position is upside down, personally i like to put the LIVES ( in your case the 2 wires) into the terminal marked L, after all that is what the letter "L" actually stands for.
And yes i know it dont switching wise matter and that the current is AC.

Sponsored Links
If you have 2 sets of lights in there you may consider it “backwards “

Otherwise the live may loop to the next room

I checked with the previous owner and there has only been one light in there as long as they've known, so yeah, it's probably a loop to the next location.

Curiously there's also a neutral wire in here (two, connected in a block), which I'd understood to be exceeding rare in UK light switches, especially so for older installs, and is the reason that a lot of smart light switches don't work in the UK.

Anyway, the new switch is wired up exactly as the old one was and is looking much smarter :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back