1 large boiler vs 2 smaller ones?

Sponsored Links
The Coopra 80 twin was an excellent concept.... 80kW max output and could modulate down to 7.

Modular boilers? They were a big thing, in the '80s. An array of domestic boilers instead of 1 or 2 big commercial boilers.

Which reminds me. The other advantage was that by keeping the output of each boiler below 40kW (I think) they could be serviced by a technician with a domestic Gas Safe qualification. Above 40 kW, you'd need a commercial boiler ticket and that costs more.

I'm not sure the term "fairly" should be used regarding the reliability of the premix condensing boiler. ;) , a bank of six potterton diplomats will be more releiable than one of those band A condensers. :mrgreen:

I'd scrap all 6 Diplomats and replace them with 2 wall-mounted condensers.

The size of the plant room would be halved and the free space partitioned off and rented out within the month.

Which reminds me. The other advantage was that by keeping the output of each boiler below 40kW (I think) they could be serviced by a technician with a domestic Gas Safe qualification. Above 40 kW, you'd need a commercial boiler ticket and that costs more.

The domestic tickets stops at 70kW,

But there are caveats.... no combined flue system, boiler should be classed as a commercial appliance by the manufacturer. Each boiler to be isolatable from the gas supply individually.

Can't remember if the building itself had a bearing too. Brain still isn't in gear.

Sponsored Links
So my understanding is -

if its done well (ie the controller is aware of two boilers and increases load on each depending on demand) and i have the ££ + space then go for it,

If its done as two boilers that kick in and out as they each independently see fit (ie thermostat says i start up, they both start up) then its not really worth it unless i have a massive house that requires an output of over 70kw to allow a normal gas safe registered person to be able to work on it?

A normal domestic RGI can't work on anything over 70Kw.

There's many ways to control both boilers independently, including a switch that turns one off unless you need it.

What you should do is get someone onsite when ready and run a few ideas based on your requirements.

There is not much of a supply market for controllers designed for smaller boilers. They also tend to be intended for industrial applications and fairly expensive.

The reality is that practically in a domestic environment its usually easier for the homeowner to just use one boiler and switch on the second manually in very cold weather.

Its not very difficult for someone familiar with electronics to make a simple system which allows the second boiler to come on automatically. But few boiler installers have the knowledge or desire to do that.

Tony

We have a couple of methods that use off-the-shelf stuff to get the most out of a dual boiler rig.

The property size really is an important consideration. A lot of boilers I see in London are grossly oversized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back