1 or 2 motorised valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the process of updating parts of my heating system and need some advice please.

The current rad pipes are a real mess and it makes sense to install new ones radiating out from the landing, this plus the desire for zoned control has led me to order a speedfit manifold with aura wireless kit. My current system is HW gravity, 9 Rads pumped, C plan system, old Myson velaire 4 port oil boiler.

I would like to have independent control of CH and HW so I was planning on putting a 2 port valve on the return of the HW heating circuit and wire this into the wiring centre. So that the HW circuit is only open when the timer&cylinder stat ask for it. The CH circuit would be controlled by the actuators, so if no zone timers/stats are calling for heat while the HW is being heated then the CH circuit remains closed.

Can anybody advise me if this would be sufficient or would I also have to put on on the heating circuit?

Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi, I am in the process of updating parts of my heating system and need some advice please.

The current rad pipes are a real mess and it makes sense to install new ones radiating out from the landing, this plus the desire for zoned control has led me to order a speedfit manifold with aura wireless kit. My current system is HW gravity, 9 Rads pumped, C plan system, old Myson velaire 4 port oil boiler.

I would like to have independent control of CH and HW so I was planning on putting a 2 port valve on the return of the HW heating circuit and wire this into the wiring centre. So that the HW circuit is only open when the timer&cylinder stat ask for it. The CH circuit would be controlled by the actuators, so if no zone timers/stats are calling for heat while the HW is being heated then the CH circuit remains closed.

Can anybody advise me if this would be sufficient or would I also have to put on on the heating circuit?

Thanks Paul
By the sounds of it Paul you've a gravity HW system & pumped CH. perhaps it would be easier to convert it to a fully pumped system & install an S Plan. My only reservation is short cycling your oil boiler, they don't really hit peak performance until they've been fired up for 15-20 minutes.

Not many homes have a huge hot water demand.

Thanks for your reply PullerGas. It is not that we have a huge demand for hot water, I am trying to reduce the amount of heat going to hot water. Adding a cylinder stat and motorised valve will mean the water doesn't get superheated when we want to keep the CH on for a few hours.

Whilst there might be the rare occasion when we want to top up the HW when the central heating is off, which may cause some short cycling, the main purpose is to stop heating the HW after the CH has been on for a while in the evening.

I did consider changing over to fully pumped but I am struggling to see the advantage in this over what I am planning and therefore decided it wasn't worth the pipe work combining the two heating circuits plus putting in two valves. But please let me know if I am missing something as I have only just started to work all this stuff out. Thanks again, Paul

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply PullerGas. It is not that we have a huge demand for hot water, I am trying to reduce the amount of heat going to hot water. Adding a cylinder stat and motorised valve will mean the water doesn't get superheated when we want to keep the CH on for a few hours.

Whilst there might be the rare occasion when we want to top up the HW when the central heating is off, which may cause some short cycling, the main purpose is to stop heating the HW after the CH has been on for a while in the evening.

I did consider changing over to fully pumped but I am struggling to see the advantage in this over what I am planning and therefore decided it wasn't worth the pipe work combining the two heating circuits plus putting in two valves. But please let me know if I am missing something as I have only just started to work all this stuff out. Thanks again, Paul

You could well be right Paul, but the 'recovery' of your HW will not be any faster & I do think your boiler will cycle more also with the C Plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back