1 tb v 2tb CCTV Hard drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much storage would you get from a 1 TB and 2 TB hard drive.

With six cameras attached to the CCTV.

Sponsored Links
Depends what quality the stream is you want to record?
My 4MP camera records about 40GB a day.

How long is a piece of string?

It depends on the camera definition, how much movement or continuous recording, and how long you want to keep recordings before they overwrite.

I believe there are calculators on the web.

it all depends on the scene activity, quality, resolution, frame rate and compression being used.

Then if your continuous recording or motion only(not recommended)

Sponsored Links
With the 1TB drive you will get lots of storage.
With the 2TB drive you will get lots more.

:)

I fit minimum 4tb on all jobs these days…
With a 4tb you get even more storage.

Unless your checking regularly then you'll want as much storage as you can afford.
Upgrading later on is always harder than getting enough to start with.

It's simple no one can answer the question asked because they don't know enough details to work it out.

6 cameras mean nothing.

Without knowing resolution frame rates and compression, with compression it varies significantly with the type of compression and how busy the scene the camera is capturing.

But if you base it on the 4MP using up 40GB a day no idea of frame rate or compression used or how busy the scenes are.

6 cameras of the same would use 240gb a day, so 1TB would be 4 days. And 2TB would be 8 days as a rough guide.

To that end it's probably easiest to fit the largest single HDD you can afford that the NVR or DVR will support. Some units will support multipul HDD.

8 cameras here, from 4MP to 8MP. Fitted 2 x 4TB disks.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back