CCTV as a deterrent - so cheap kit is good enough?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read how CCTV is a deterrent against burglars, which is often more useful than anything, so thinking maybe time to install something.

Budget is tiny. Read lots of positives about Hikvision here. So, will this kit be a good place to start?

4x HIKVISION CCTV SYSTEM DVR 4X 1080P 2.4MP SECURITY CAMERA DOME 3.6mm WIDE ANGLE 20 METER IR LED +1 TB HDD

Includes the hard drive, which is more than some kits seem to do! £237 is still more than I can afford right now, but might be time to sort this out as I have some time off work next week ...

Sponsored Links
I would avoid unknown suppliers from eBay and amazon. Believe it or not there are counterfeit products in the CCTV business.

Supply from a known UK shop and if budget allows go for POE.

what is POE?

Found it - Power over Ethernet. Yeah, that makes sense!

Sponsored Links
My opinion is CCTV is an investment for security and peace of mind for your property. I made the mistake of going cheap and having to replace after a year. Save some money and do it right first time and you won’t regret it. Hikvision is a very good brand just do a bit of research for what sort of cameras you think you will need. Look on YouTube for specific camera models and you will see real footage to work out if that is good for you.

While analogue over coax can still be good if it’s a brand new install I personally would spend a little more and go ethernet. I have 6 cameras with 4TB space and get around 2 weeks of footage before it over writes. So working out things like HDD size and how much you want is something else you need to consider.

Thanks. Will look for those.

Eddie - I did think about that! Or, just buy a real camera in case intruders are good at telling the difference ...

I asked Hikvision about the seller on that Amazon link, they said:

"they are not an authorised company.
Purchasing any Hikvision products from Ebay or Amazon is not authorised business.
Any products on hikvision, we don't provide support to end users. "

So, I assume Hikvision is only good if you use an authorised fitter?

Which brand is good for DIY?

You can buy Hikvision from UK sellers who will provide warranty etc however Hikvision is more aimed at the trade. The DIY Hikvision version is called “Hi-Watch”

why couldn't Hikvision tell me that? Thanks!

Supply from a known UK shop and if budget allows go for POE.

POE == IP Cameras.
IP Cameras == Over Budget (On the basis that £250 is beyond budget).

As above, HiWatch is the "consumer" version of Hikvision, and its terrible. Its a bad move from Hikvision, as their kit is generally good, but I've had no end of issues with the HiWatch stuff, most importantly, the NVR is non-upgradeable (firmware), so if there's an issue in the software release (which on the ones I rolled out there was), you're stuffed.

Now I only ever recommend the proper Hik stuff.

With all that said, as a deterrent, the kit you've shown should be sufficient.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Cameras need to be specified for the job you want them to do.

If you get the wrong camera for the job, the money spent may as well of been spent getting drunk.

What you have to remember with CCTV is that the images on the day of the break in are likely to have their faces covered, but earlier when they did their site survey they may have walked up your drive, looked directly at the cameras without the faces being covered.

Good point! So, what is the recommendation then for cameras and HDD size?

found a calculator. Guessed suitable settings to get under 1Tb. Does this look about right?

cctv calc.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back