Cctv kit for domestic use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a Cctv kit for my home. Was thinking of 3 bullet cameras and 1 dome camera for the front of the house.

I've read some good reviews regarding HIKVision so was thinking of going for this brand name. However, not sure whether to got for IP based or the other variant. I want something of good quality for both night and day and be able to view live on an iPhone using an app.

Any recommendations appreciated

Sponsored Links
Depends on the resolution you require. If you require facial identification and a wide-angle view then you'll need to go IP to get the resolution.

However cheap or low spec IP cameras aren't necessarily any better than standard resolution analogue cameras.

I wanted something future proof and don't mind paying that bit extra.

At the moment I'm looking at the following cameras

Ds-2cd2032-1 - 3mp - Bullet
Ds-2cd2132 - Dome

In terms of fitting are the IP based cameras and NVR similar to the DVR version or radically different?

Thanks in advance

The hikvision use the same front end for both TVI and IP at 2 and 3 mp it's only the connection method that differs...

Sponsored Links
Are the IP based ones a relatively easy fit?

Am I correct in assuming the cameras connect to the NVR and a feed from my home router to the NVR is all there required?

they can also work with a NAS or other home server with surveillance software. It depends what you have.

i've been pleased with my setup. even spotted the biscuit theif.

I was thinking of an NVR setup as only use a laptop.

Are there any installers within the West Yorkshire region (Leeds/Bradford) who would be willing to provide a quote? If so please send me a PM

Hikvision IP cams are relatively easy to install & are of reasonable quality. As with all things, pay more, better quality but even the lower cost stuff is very good. I have a couple of setups now, each with a Hikvision 7604NI NVR. The one I did last weekend took a couple of hours in all - that's mounting the cameras to the wall, running cat5 via the roof void to the NVR and wiring it all together. The only tedious bit is the RJ45/Cat5 connections but even with a cheap crimp tool, its not hard.
Based on the first install, I new where to look to find the ports that need opening on my router, mapped them through then added to the free Hikvision app on my iphone. Then I could just tweak the positioning whilst looking at the picture from the camera.
If you're not worried about heights if putting high, then it is a very simple thing to do yourself.

Still undecided as to whether to go for the IP based setup or the cheaper HIKVision Turbo setup. The turbo model has a limit of 3mp on the cameras but think that would be good enough for a residential property. Also, how does one determine what lens to go for (2.8, 4, 6 and 13mm)

Any further advise/suggestions welcome

For lens use this http://polarisusa.com/lens-calculator

Dunno about Turbo version but anything that requires BNC + separate power is going to be a lot more faff than IP

Another benefit of IP is that you can access your camera from IVMS without going through an NVR if you wanted to.

image of proposed setup below

Would appreciate if someone could advise as to whether to go for bullet or dome cameras and what lens sizes please. I was planning on routing all cables via the loft and keeping the DVR/NVR in the loft too. I have a smart TV so no need to route any cables from the DVR/NVR to the TV as I could install the app on the TV. only wire required would be from the home router to the DVR/NVR

IMG_3481_zps6pjnpc9w.jpg

This camera DS-2CE56F7T-IT3Z can be set up via the dvr ( motorised lens ) without up and down ladders to ajust the focus

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back