1-way light switch on ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to install a new recessed light (with transformers) & need to get power from ring circuit using a switched FCU. Can switch light on & off with switch on FCU, but when I connect to a 1-way wall switch, I can turn the light on via the wall switch, but when I switch off via the wall switch, the CU fuse trips.

is this due to getting power from ring circuit ?

Sponsored Links
No. You may have wired the switch incorrectly. Can you explain how it is wired?

You should use the common and one of the other contacts of the switch to break the live conductor alone. Make sure the neutral does not go into the switch contacts.

lv426 said:
Trying to install a new recessed light (with transformers) & need to get power from ring circuit using a switched FCU. Can switch light on & off with switch on FCU, but when I connect to a 1-way wall switch, I can turn the light on via the wall switch, but when I switch off via the wall switch, the CU fuse trips.

is this due to getting power from ring circuit ?

sounds like red-red and black-black at the transformer where wires come in/out...

Thanks for your comments, I had included the neutral in the switch, but once I thought about it (with the help of the comments posted here & elsewhere on the forum) it became clear what I was actually trying to do.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
also helps if you search before you ask, why do you think we have a refernce section?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back