Lights on a Ring Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house - need help please!

In the outhouse we have several power sockets (all working) and a fluorescent tube light (not working!) and a switch for the light.

I have had to replace the tube fitting due to it being damaged - how do I reconnect the light.

The light was connected to the ring mains circuit via a fuse (FCU??). The switch for the light is not connected any where - should this connect to the FCU or directly to the light?

Which of the 3 wires (live, neutral, earth) coming from the FCU should be connected to the fluorescent tube

Which of the 3 wires coming from the light switch should be connected to the fluorescent tube - should any go to the FCU?

Not sure if that makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Hi

Okay I'm not qualified or anythign but I have done the odd spot of rewiring (mainly in the last week :D)

Its not exactly clear if your switch is a switched FCU or not. So you might want to elaborate on that.

is it

ring main > Switched FCU > Light

or

ring main > FCU > Light > Switch (then back to light)

Usually lights are either loop in or ceiling rose type systems. Basically the power goes all the way round the house from light fitting to light fitting. at the light fitting a wire goes to the switch which then comes back goes through the lamp and finally to the neutral.

Having re-read that I think it should be the following

From FCU Red (brown) and Black (blue) goe to Live and Neutral on Light fitting respectively, connect earth with sleeving

red (brown) brown wire from switch goes to live at the light fitting. black (blue) from the switch goes to the switched live at the light fitting (should be in red/brown sleeving). earth goes to earth temerinal at light fitting and again at the switch, if you have a plastic switch connect it to the back of the box, if its metal use the allocated terminal.

I think thats right but someone of more experience might need to step in here!
Lorraine

Both cables go to the fitting,

Connect the reds of both cables together using an extra bit of terminal block, if you do not have this then you may have o purchase it from a DIY store.

Connect the black from the cable that comes from the FCU to the black/blue of the fitting, the fitting should have a terminal for this

Connect the black from the cable that comes from the switch to the red/brown of the fitting, the fitting should have a terminal for this,

Make sure both earth wires are in earth sleeveing (you may have to purchase this from a DIY store), and connect them both to the earth point on the fitting/ the green and yellow wire on the fitting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back