Garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
atattched garage electrics fed from 30A MCB from CU(which has a RCCB). On this circuit are 3 double sockets and 4 fluorescent light fittings which are not fused down, everything is joined with terminal blocks,

Should i
1) Wire the sockets into a ring, spur off via switched FCU for the light fittings OR

2) Add a 2 way CU so having lights and sockets on seperate circuits

Any advice/help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a 2 way CU, that way your lights will stay on if a power tool faults. Just my preference.

Either option is acceptable.

If a power tool goes wrong, chances are it will trip the main RCCB anyway so it wont make a difference with having seperate circuits in the garage. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Sheepster.

What is the size and type of cable from the consumer unit to the garage & does this go outside?

Cable doesn't go outside, garage it attatched to side of house.
The cable feeding the garage is 4mmT&E, it comes out the CU directly through the wall and up into the garage rafters.It is then connected with choc blocks to 2.5mm T&E and 1.5mm T&E for sockets/lights.

So why not simply extend a lighting circuit to the garage light(s) and a socket circuit to the garage sockets?

i have easy access to the living room ring main from the cupborad housing the CU, so extending this would not be a problem. Could replace the then redundant 30A MCB with a 5A for the lights or could i just have the garage lights on the same MCB as the downstairs lights.

From your picture it looks like the 4mm ( 6mm?) has been split and broken into with the blocks. Where does the cable go to?

Blimey -7 violations in one picture....

i have easy access to the living room ring main from the cupborad housing the CU, so extending this would not be a problem.
Cool.

Could replace the then redundant 30A MCB with a 5A for the lights or could i just have the garage lights on the same MCB as the downstairs lights.
Either.

Strictly speaking changing the MCB is notifiable, but it's such a marginal act that I doubt it would ever be picked up. Putting the garage lights onto an existing lighting MCB is not notifiable.

However - notifiable or not you have still got to do the work safely, which means that if you are extending circuits then they really should be tested to make sure they are still within the length limits (see here for the reason why), and to verify that you didn't break continuity or mess up the polarity etc, and testing like that is probably not something you can do yourself.

I can assure you that this wasn't one of my installations, so kindly refrain from taking my name in vain, young Steve.

While I'm here, I have a tip for the Silver Trophy at Chepstow.

If you're interested then please put the Jelly Babies in an unmarked box in the usual place.

And a couple of Wagon Wheels, I've been told to say. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back