1 way switch to dimmer - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 switches i would like to change to dimmers. the 1st one is wired as 2 blacks in the L2/com (top and bottom), then a red wire in the 1 way. the dimmer only has c and L2, what goes where?

the second switch is currently wired as black in L2, red in 1 way, then theres another red wire at the bottom of the L2!!!!!!!!!!!

the back plates are earthed, will this earth the metal outer plate too?

all help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The first one sounds like a 2 way lighting circuit i.e. you have a light switch at either end of the room? For this you'd need a 2 way dimmer switch.
Can you please recheck what is where on the 2nd switch and tell us what goes where? Is this a single way lighting arrangement?
Please note that you cannot have 2 normal dimmer switches controlling the same light.
My opinion is it is better to connect the earth wire directly to the switch and a short tail off to the back box, mainly because most back box earth terminals are poor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back