100 watt bulbs to be banned in September

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Nice presentation Ban, what software package did you use for it?

Its ok I found it, Letmegooglethatforyou.com

Great find Ban

The "antis" keep mentioning the mercury content to keep everyone worried. I checked up on the mercury content:

Typical mercury content of a CFL is 4mg.

Compare that with the typical mercury content of an amalgam tooth filling of 100mg.

Puts it into perspective eh?

Sponsored Links
gonna be a lot of people sent to toxic waste disposal when they die :eek:

they pull your fillings out before they bung you in the oven.

Tesco is offering five of its own energy saving light-bulbs for 40p.

However, due to an error on the computer they are 29p for five. They go through the till at £1 each, then the VAT is reduced on the FULL £10.
and only then is the discount is removed, resulting in the price of 29p for 5

That said, I've not bought any and they take a while to get to full brightness... Cheap though

People often complain about the time they take to reach full brightness, but unless it's extremely slow I don't see why it's a real problem, and not just an "it's different so I don't like it" reaction.

I sometimes wonder if we'd always had CFLs and incandescent lights had recently been invented whether these same people would moan that they didn't like them because of the way they instantly banged into full brightness.

The ramp up can often be welcome, e.g. if you've come into the house at night, or got up in the night, and your eyes would appreciate a bit of time to adapt. And look how much money some people spend on systems to automatically fade lights up....

slower warm-up times - Ideal for the bathroom when you're half asleep :cool:

People often complain about the time they take to reach full brightness, but unless it's extremely slow I don't see why it's a real problem, and not just an "it's different so I don't like it" reaction.

I sometimes wonder if we'd always had CFLs and incandescent lights had recently been invented whether these same people would moan that they didn't like them because of the way they instantly banged into full brightness.

The ramp up can often be welcome, e.g. if you've come into the house at night, or got up in the night, and your eyes would appreciate a bit of time to adapt. And look how much money some people spend on systems to automatically fade lights up....

i think bulbs with particularly bad ramp up have caused many to complain. Ive got a GE one in my bedroom that takes ages and is annoying (apart from at 1AM) as it is very dim untill warmed, that said I've heard the GE ones that have a spiral of CFL are fine, and my other bulbs (inc tesco) are fine by me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back