100m lintel on 4 inch blocks - only 90-95mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im building a boiler house which will only be 1 metre deep but is 5 metre wide and needs a vertical roller door to allow access to the boiler and and the remaining space. Walls with be single block 4 inch thick.

I have purchased a 5 metre 10cm standard steel lintel to fit across the opening, which will carry 40cm high of blocks, I now just realised the lintel is slightly wider than the 4 inch blocks which are measuring at only 9-9.5cm wide. The lintel will have to be flush with the internal block wall to allow for the roller door guides so will stick out 0.5-1cm on the external face. Is this an issue or will it be fine once outside walls are rendered and so end up flush?

Also would anyone have any advice on how much support to leave on the single skin wall? I've allowed for up to 40cm support either side.

Thanks guys

*Edited for measurement types -really sorry thanks for replying,

Lintel is 10cm deep so issue is it is sitting out over 9-9.5cm blocks. It will be carrying just enough blocks to hold the 35cm brackets of roller door.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is there a roof bearing down on this lintel also?

Also would anyone have any advice on how much support to leave on the single skin wall? I've allowed for up to 40mm support either side.
40mm? Is this a typo?

Yes just a flat roof, not much weight as building will only be 1 metre deep by 5 metres wide with supports running across the 1 metre span

TBH, with the beam supporting two(?) layers of block, and a roller door, and with 40mm bearing each end, it doesn't seem like a very robust structure.

TBH, with the beam supporting two(?) layers of block, and a roller door, and with 40mm bearing each end, it doesn't seem like a very robust structure.

Sorry not 40mm 40cm either end, type in original posting. Although its not built yet so can increase if required.

I think it would be ok but open to other opinions?

Sorry not 40mm 40cm either end, type in original posting. Although its not built yet so can increase if required.

I think it would be ok but open to other opinions?

Should also add guides are also bolted to brackets, they seem very sturdy, so support for roller door runs the entire vertical length not just above part lintel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back