10amp mcb's on light circits

why are sockets rated at 13amps then and protected by a 32amp breaker?

Sockets can be protected by 16A, 20A, 25A or 32A breakers, depending on the cables used and how they are ran. The sockets are rated at 13A each as that is the maximum current they are designed to carry, we dont have a plug top fuse that is larger that 13A here so there is no need for they to be able to handle more power.

Sponsored Links
And double socket outlets, of course, are not (or don't have to be to comply with BS 1363 - some makes are) rated for 26A.

Most BA22d lamp holders are rated 2A. However the bulb should have a built in fuse. And it will only supply one bulb so should be limited anyway. However the ceiling rose is a junction box as well so it can easy be overloaded if the automatic disconnection device exceeds 6A.

I to my cost found Ikea market lamps without the internal overload protection and when one went short circuit in my outside light it fused to the holder before the B16 MCB tripped. It was within the rules we are allowed to use a 16A disconnection device on lighting where there are no ceiling roses.

However after that I have never fitted a MCB or fuse over 6A that supplies a BA22d lamp. Even the porcelain type which are ratted I think at 6A not 2A as with plastic type.

I suppose one could still do the old stile method of removing the bulb and plugging in the iron and load up a lamp holder well over it's max ratting but I have not seen those adaptors for years. Think from days where lighting power was on different meter to sockets and you paid less for electric for light. (Pre-war not sure which one?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back