10mm cable for electric shower question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been searching for this information but not being an electrician, I do not know the answer.

If you get 10mm cable for an electric shower, say a 10kw electric shower, then what about the future. If electric showers say go up to 15 KW in the next decade would I still be able to use my 10 mm cable with it?

Sponsored Links
In one sense it's a fair question. The first electric shower I ever fitted was in 1980. It was 7kW which was about as big as they came back then. You could put one on a 30 amp fuse with 6 sq mm cable. Should I have gone looking for 10 sq mm cable to cater for bigger showers that might come later - as we now know they did?

In another sense it's pointless. The only thing about the future that's predictable is its unpredictability! Will there be 15kW showers in 2017? More to the point, will you feel deprived if you don't have one? :) :) :)

yeah I know, what I am trying to get at is how many KWs can a 10mm cable take? With 6mm its up to 10kw and with 10kw its up to???????

Sponsored Links
A 10mm² can carry 63A for 34 metres max clipped direct with no other correction factors.(Based on 240V)
This equates to 15 Kw. approx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back