10mm Cable Going To A Fused Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many Thanks for all those who helped with this thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206367

I will today do this job in my loft.

I will use the redundent 10mm cable to feed a fused spur and from the output side I will feed a double socket and another fused spur for the digital shower.

is this the correct fuse spur to use? http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=SWL1 or can I get a double sized one so that the 10mm cables go in easier?

Also at my wylex dual RCD consumer unit the 10mm cable is protected by a 40amp mcb - shall I also downgrade this mcb?

Thanks

Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
If your spending all this money on spurs and sockets and a new mcb , why not buy a garage consumer unit which will allow you to terminate the 10mm cable with ease and will mean you have more capacity for any other future needs up there.. Search in screwfix for a garage consumer unit. you can then put two 16a mcbs in there and feed out to your socket and spur from it .

Nick

I see your point, screwfix do a consumer unit box with a main 60amp switch for £13 then the 16amp mcbs are only £5 each.

Will prob look a better job as well.

I think I would use a coffin JB next to the spur, and reduce the cable size accordingly.

Sponsored Links
If you were to buy that fused spur, be prepared to hunt for a security bit every time the fuse blows. Look at the fuseholder screw!

Colin C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back