Can This Be Done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to have 2 double sockets in my loft.

I will use a socket for new Aqualisa Digital shower which is connected to a 3amp fused plug.
The other I will use for my aerial amp.
This will leave me a spare double socket for future use.

I have a old 10mm cable in the loft that used to run my old shower but is now redundant and terminated.
Can this 10mm cable be used in anyway for the sockets or do I have to run another 2.5mm cable to the loft?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1 socket correctly fused at the CU ,would be similar to a cooker unit socket fed with 10mm.
Linking the second one though you may have trouble getting wires in the terminals.
A 3 gang socket may be the answer.

use the 10mm to feed a 13A fused spur, and connect the double sockets to the output side..

If the shower circuit is on the RCD side of your consumer unit a 13A FCU is fine, if not use an RCD FCU.

Sponsored Links
I would like to have 2 double sockets in my loft.

I will use a socket for new Aqualisa Digital shower which is connected to a 3amp fused plug.
The other I will use for my aerial amp.
This will leave me a spare double socket for future use.

I have a old 10mm cable in the loft that used to run my old shower but is now redundant and terminated.
Can this 10mm cable be used in anyway for the sockets or do I have to run another 2.5mm cable to the loft?

Thanks

Why do you plan on plugging the shower in? A better solution would be to use the 10mm to feed a switched fused spur fused at 13A, the load side feed a double socket and then another switched fused spur fused at 3A for the shower. Is the 10mm cable protected by an RCD?

Adam

Yes 17th edition board dual RCD.

Thanks for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back