Two Loft Sockets And Light Spurred From Bedroom Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this is safe and within regs, just a check for peace of mind - from a bedroom double socket I've taken a 2.5 T&E spur which goes to a 13amp switched FCU in the loft. From this FCU load I have two 2.5 T&E cables, one goes to a single socket in the loft which then runs to a double socket in another loft. The other 2.5 T&E cable runs to another switched FCU, which is fused down to 5 amp, and from this runs 1.5 T&E to a light in the loft (the switch on this FCU is the switch I use for the light). Therefore the light is fused down and this as well as both sockets are protected by the 13amp FCU. My only two unsures are - am I ok to take two cables from the FCU load or is there a reg which states there can only be one, and should the fuse for the light really be 3amp. Thanx.

Sponsored Links
Why didn't you wire the light via the light circuits that exist in the loft for the rooms below?

Whould have saved the double cable out of the FS 13a and the provision of the FS 5a.

The sockets are fed via the 13a fused spur, but each socket face still has a load max of 13a- You know your load / demand over these sockets better than anyone, just avoid heavy loading such as big power tools, heaters and kettles.

If I'd have done it I'd have run 2 x 2.5mm from the floor below and extended the ring in to the loft, making the 1st socket in the loft part of the ring and the 2nd as a spur, rather than the spur off a spur.

Chri5 said:
Why didn't you wire the light via the light circuits that exist in the loft for the rooms below?

Whould have saved the double cable out of the FS 13a and the provision of the FS 5a.

The sockets are fed via the 13a fused spur, but each socket face still has a load max of 13a- You know your load / demand over these sockets better than anyone, just avoid heavy loading such as big power tools, heaters and kettles.

If I'd have done it I'd have run 2 x 2.5mm from the floor below and extended the ring in to the loft, making the 1st socket in the loft part of the ring and the 2nd as a spur, rather than the spur off a spur.

It's because the floor is boarded and the switched FCU for the light is already in place, it was there previously, as was the 2.5T&E from the socket in the bedroom below which feeds it, so it's a case of getting a single and double socket up there utilising what's already there for ease but keeping it safe of course. The two FCU's are quite close together, so the cable between the two is only a few inches so wiring wise it's no hassle.
I thought you could have as many spur from a spur from a spur from a spur, etc. as you wanted as long as they are all on the load side of the FCU. The demand on each socket will only be low, but even if something substantial should be plugged in like you mention, it should still be ok shouldn't it, as of course everything is protected by that 13amp fuse.

Sponsored Links
I'd say it's within regs, but not 'best practice'.

Although you rightly debate the low fuse ratings, most persons would expect a double socket to take the load allowed.
By design not every socket in the loft can take 13a and if the demand for total load over the double and single is beyond 13a the fuse will pop.

Best practice would be for a light to be on a light circuit and fused via the lights MCB and the sockets to be part of the 1st floor / floor under the loft levels ring main.

Anyone else care to comment?

Chri5 said:
I'd say it's within regs, but not 'best practice'.

Although you rightly debate the low fuse ratings, most persons would expect a double socket to take the load allowed.
By design not every socket in the loft can take 13a and if the demand for total load over the double and single is beyond 13a the fuse will pop.

Best practice would be for a light to be on a light circuit and fused via the lights MCB and the sockets to be part of the 1st floor / floor under the loft levels ring main.

Anyone else care to comment?

Hi again, thanks for your reply. I agree most people would take off the lighting ring for the loft light if the cable is accessible easily, however with the socket I think most would take a spur from an existing socket rather than add to the ring. The single socket will be seldom used, it's for convenience if work has to be done up there in the future, drilling or whatever, might as well put it there at this stage. And the double socket is for computer equipment which doesn't take much. As I've said I've done it this way for ease and convenience, as long as it's legal and safe too, perfect. Yes, if the sockets are overloaded the fuse will go, that's it's purpose! Just what I want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back