Adding a lighting spur to socket spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am hoping to confirm my plan for adding a lighting spur to a socket spur for a TV socket and some LED downlights.

Currently I have a socket on an existing ring. From this I plan to wire to:
FCU with 13 Amp fuse >>>> Double socket >>> FCU with 3 Amp fuse >>> Lighting ring

Will be using 2.5mm2 T+E cable up to the FCU with 3 Amp fuse and after this will use 1mm2 cable for the lighting ring.

Please let me know if any comments or concerns with this suggested set up?

Many thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Hi there

I am hoping to confirm my plan for adding a lighting spur to a socket spur for a TV socket and some LED downlights.

FCU with 13 Amp fuse >>>> Double socket >>> FCU with 3 Amp fuse >>> Lighting ring

Will be using 2.5mm2 T+E cable up to the FCU with 3 Amp fuse and after this will use 1mm2 cable for the lighting ring.

Please let me know if any comments or concerns with this suggested set up?

Many thanks
Ben
The lighting circuit is not likely to require a ring

Sponsored Links
Definitely not you mean, but I think you know he didn't mean that....maybe
I don't know what he means;
Some use the term 'ring' as a global replacement for 'circuit'.
Some assume all circuits are wired as rings

Thanks all - very helpful.

Yes, apologies don't mean a lighting ring - meant a "circuit".

That would be fine.

In fact, you don't really need 2.5mm² cable for any of it - 1.5mm², or probably even 1mm², would do with common installation methods (buried in a wall etc.).

I don't think many would argue about using smaller cable downstream of the first FCU (with 13A fuse) but those unable to think for themselves might be less happy with cable smaller than 2.5mm² between ring and that FCU, but seemingly only becasue that does not appear as an example in the guidance given in an Appendix of the Wiring Regs!

Kind Regards, John

I don't know what he means;
Some use the term 'ring' as a global replacement for 'circuit'.
Some assume all circuits are wired as rings
Me either, cant remember what I was on about

LOL! anyway you can wire lights as a ring if you want, not many do though but I do know of one who used to back in the 70s

Actually I just remember - I do know another, years back I was doing an inspection and correcting some lighting. I discovered two separate lighting circuits joined together near the radial ends. could have been rather interesting to see if one MCB knocked off for servicing the other one still supplied the whole lot. Not to mention the possible horror of trip times on overload/shorth/earth fault (although it did actually have an RCD so earth fault not really an issue) but obviously I couldn`t leave without sufficient investigation and correction to render safe, it was a bit of a dogs breakfast to trace out in order to improve things.

Two breakers on different legs of one ring final often with the same two breakers on different legs of another ring final was something I`d seen a few times though

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back