Protecting Spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years I have addeed far too many spurs feeding multipl,e socket outlets. I now want to sell

1) In each bedroom I have added spurs each feeding two double 13 amp socket outlets. These were added above desks for computers. My question is to bring these within the requlations can I simply add a 16 amp fuse at the ring main socket were the spur takes off creating a fused spur.

2) I have wired in a ciling light from a fused spur. This consists of a 3 amp fused spur, 6 amp rated surface mounted flexible cable through a light switch feeding a ceiling light (100 watt) 0.5 amp. This would appear to me to be in complaince with regulations but it has been condemed by the surveyor as being dagerous. I see no problem with this installation

Sponsored Links
you are allowed to fit one spur socket/socket on the ring main.however if you have surface mounted all your spurs as you have your lighting circuit it probably looks a real pigs ear & anybody inspecting it would probably condem it as unsafe as a matter of course.Sorry!!!

Thanks - The spurs are not surface mounted and are neat. Since they are set up over desks to provide computer input the load is less than 13 amps. Can I simply add a 16 amp fuse at the head of each spur to bring each spur within regulations.

You can make them into fused spurs with an FCU.

However they are fused at max 13A, not 16A.

Sponsored Links
13 amp is not a problem - I installed so as top clean up a mess of plugs into one socket running computers, printers, modems etc. I knew I was breaching regs but now I need to bring into complinace.

My other question referes to use of 6amp flex serving a ceiling light protected by a 3 amp FCU. Is there anything that prevents me using flex.

bris said:
I knew I was breaching regs
The regs are there for a reason. Safety. So you knew you were creating a dangerous situation in your home, in the kid's bedrooms? I mean, you're not in their rooms 24/7, there was nothing stopping them plugging in a hairdryer, heater, vacuum cleaner etc, into these sockets and burning the place down.

bris said:
My other question referes to use of 6amp flex serving a ceiling light protected by a 3 amp FCU. Is there anything that prevents me using flex.
As far as I know, flex isn't allowed for fixed installations. You'd do well to change the flex for 1.0mm² cable, if only to make the surveyor happy. It isn't presently dangerous, but it isn't to regs either.

Quite likely a buyer will view yours as DIY electrical changes, and will want to rip it all out and start again.

Sorry.

JohnD said:
Quite likely a buyer will view yours as DIY electrical changes, and will want to rip it all out and start again.

Sorry.
Also just as likely the buyer will be naive and say "it works, why change it"

I can't see anything in the IEE 16th that bans flex - in fact flex is included but points taken - mods were made over 15 years ago and I basically forgot about them. supports the case for 10 year inspections. surveyoors estimate for putting right is £3000 - seems a bit steep for 5 yards of 1.0mm2 cable, some, conduit and 4 FSUs. Lesson to be learned is do the work before going on the market.

Thanks

Flex is allowed in certain circumstances,. i.e. downstream of a Fuse-connection unit with flex outlet facilty, provided (Ib <= In <= Iz) equation is satisfied, and total earth loop resistance is less than that required for the fuse to blow in the event of a earth fault.

Flex is allowed in all circumstances, for general fixed wiring. See the regs (I can't quote as I don't have access to my copy at the mo).

Ib = light fitting = 0.4 Amp
In = FSU = 3 amp
IZ = flex rated at 6 amp

Earth lopp resistance should not be a problem.

flex is surface mounted and properly clipped/supported. There is an isolation switch between the FSU and the light fitting (obviously). So on what grounds would the buyers inspector (electrical contractor) condemn the installation as being utterly dangerous?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back